Third Party Press

What was everyone's very first k98k?

That may be an interesting rifle. Some of the early rifles sold to Portugal seem to have been taken from regular production. What you are describing sounds like it may be that. I would like to see the pictures.

I made a thread. Any insights you have are welcome. Any additional info I can provide, I will happily give to you.

First k98

Hello, my one and only all matching bcd 42 with original sling. No import marks,
no history,and in great condition.
Regards DB

First K98k

I am not 100% sure but I think it was my byf/43. It is a all matching with orig. sling, clean rod, hood. It is in the c block with all milled parts and not messed with in any way. It was bought at a local auction back in the 70s for $135.

My 1st and still only 98K is this BCD 41, mismatched bolt but pristine barrel.
8Z5mLib.jpg

gFLGcaR.jpg

wyIP82F.jpg

4SoVzDs.jpg

I got my first WW 2 German firearm, a matching byf 44 K98k in the fall of 1953 to hunt deer with. Bought it from an uncle who had brought it back. I still have it hanging on the wall. Ser nr was 159 w/o a letter.
Strange how easily and quickly those thing multiply when kept in dark rooms.
Sarge

My first and only K98k is this matching AX 41 that I traded a NIB Colt Commander 1911 for. It's hard to believe it's been five years since I picked it up. It just doesn't seem like that long ago.

Attachments

• IMG_2771.jpg
    IMG_2771.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2772.jpg
    IMG_2772.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 16
It was an RC duv 40, nothing special but not a super common code and I kinda wish I still had it. I was 12 or 13 at the time, bought it in Anchorage AK at a small shop.

Also nice bore pictures guys! You’re putting some “pro dealers” to shame with those, never an easy item to capture at least for me. Even if a lot of my more collectible rifles will never see trigger time by my hands I still love to check the bore, it’s always the icing on the cake to find a crispy bore like that, I don’t really know what it is, I think it’s kind of the “what if” thinking about how much a tack driver one might be. But honestly shooting one of mine is about all I have time for anyways, and often not even that! I need to go on that note!

I was a Winchester collector in the 80s when a friend offered me a matching 147 K date in a trade. Spent a week researching everything I could find on Ks, then decided Ks were neater than Winchesters, and I was hooked. Sold all of the Winchesters and have been locked into Ks ever since, primarily Luft marked and used. Still wondering if that was a sane or un-sane move!

Nope not even close bought it back in 1967. What ever made you think it was Romanian?

I was referring to my first K98k not yours. Meaning my 1940 660 was my first.

I would have quoted you if referring to you and I would have to by psychic to know what yours was lol.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I was referring to my first K98k not yours. Meaning my 1940 660 was my first.

I would have quoted you if referring to you and I would have to by psychic to know what yours was lol.

Yes, I see your point, my bad. If yours is anything like mine you did well. Just the psychic in me too lol.

Yes, I see your point, my bad. If yours is anything like mine you did well. Just the psychic in me too lol.
Unfortunately mine had proofs peened but not too bad. All other waffenampts are there and is all matching except bolt but bolt matches itself. They even left stock markings in place

byf 41

Mine was my Dad's byf 41 I don't know a lot about it other than I took it to a local gunsmith to have it checked over to make sure it was safe to shoot because I was going to use it for deer hunting here in central PA and when I went back to pick it up he told me that it was in good condition and that his son was interested in buying it because he collected German WWII stuff I sold it to his son and bought a new rifle for deer hunting probably the worst choice I ever made I really wish I still had that rifle not because it was a German 8mm rifle but because it was my Dad's. :facepalm:

Military Rifle Journal
Back