Third Party Press

Early Gustloff sans stock..

In the late 90's I had a matching 337, 1940 set, including bands, stock, hand guard, but plate and barrel. It was complete except the receiver, bolt and trigger guard, of course an old sporter. I sold it in the early 2000's on ebay as a complete set, I believe for $125. Those were the days.
Jeff

For some reason I feel that if you put that rifle together in a stock it would have sold for less money. People value projects they can complete more than completed projects. Make sense? Just like the idea that you get more parting out a pistol/holster set than selling it together.

That actually makes perfect sense even though it seems counter intuitive. I think most of us realize restoration projects are seldom worth their cost unless you happen to either have the parts or came across them very cheaply.

Not quite as bad as automotive restoration where it's very easy to get upside down in a project. Big time.

Hopefully an honest and decent person bought this, and it looks like a piece that could turn up as "all matching" on GB in a year or so. So, I'll save some of the pics here. I can't say that I've ever seen a piece like that before, one where everything is there, complete and matching, except for the stock and one barrel band. I guess for $655 they could have done worse.
pix953356487.jpg
pix607963666.jpg
pix379517517.jpg

Yeah, restorations are usually a labor of love! Man, I agree this one was not a bad deal at all! Shame about the stock and front band. I’d almost be tempted to try to find out where it came from and make double sure they couldn’t be found. Kinda odd that the stock is gone but not the bayo lug or buttplate. Interesting that someone bothered to remove em, even in the case of an abandoned sporter project.

Last edited:
I watched it, being a gustloff guy it had appeal and I have all the correct parts to get it back to as "close" as it could be. But once it cracked the $500 threshold I gave it a wave off. Cool piece though for whomever ended up with it.

Yeah, restorations are usually a labor of love! Man, I agree this one was not a bad deal at all! Shame about the stock and front band. I’d almost be tempted to try to find out where it came from and make double sure they couldn’t be found. Kinda odd that the stock is gone but not the bayo lug or buttplate. Interesting that someone bothered to remove em, even in the case of an abandoned sporter project.

They removed the recoil lug and cleaned rod catch too.

..being a gustloff guy it had appeal and I have all the correct parts to get it back to as "close" as it could be. But once it cracked the $500 threshold I gave it a wave off. Cool piece though for whomever ended up with it.

I actually thought about you both because of the 'Gustloff guy' thing and that you have lot's of what is required. You have to admit it still wasn't a bad price given what full matching ones bring.

Hopefully an honest and decent person bought this, and it looks like a piece that could turn up as "all matching" on GB in a year or so.

Yeah, don't think that didn't cross my mind. Pretty easy compared to some of the 'work' that's already surfaced.

Good job capturing some images! I know there are others who do this often.

Military Rifle Journal
Back