Third Party Press

Need help identifying my k98

nunderhill

Hello everyone, I have recently obtained a K98. I bought it for 150 dollars and I was hoping to learn more about it. Anything helps, value (though I do not plan on ever selling it), rarity, identification of stamps/markings, etc. I’m also curious about the stock. Type of wood? It seems to be coated in something. I am not new to surplus rifles but this is my first k98 and I do not know a whole lot about them. All I could tell you is it is dated 1944 and the stock/receiver match but I don’t think anything else does.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bY49MmfnAL8NyR8m1

It's referred to as an RC, which stands for Russian Captured, then imported into the USA several years ago. The finish is the Russian dip bluing and your right on the numbers matching parts. The stock looks like a laminated stock. It would be considered more of a shooter grade rifle more than collectible although priced right people do collect these. It is a nice representative gun. You can see what they go for by watching some of the gun auctions/sales sites. $150 is a bargain as long as the bore is good.

I bought it with the purpose of using it as more of a shooter than an collectors item. The bore is in perfect condition. Thank you for telling me more about it.

As stated above your rifle is a “Russian Capture” rifle which means that it was captured from the Germans by the Russians during the war. They disassembled them and reblued the metal parts and shellacked the stocks (that’s what is on yours) and then reassembled them. SO that means that these guns have a potpourri of different make and age parts. They often make excellent shooters! Some of the markings on yours are struck out, which is not abnormal, but often they renumbered parts with electro-pencil to match the serial on the barrel or receiver. Note the serial they added on the side of the stock to match, that is another RC trademark. It can be fun to try to figure out what all the parts on a RC came from originally, for example the rear barrel band has an eagle 77 (e/77) marking which means that that part was made in the Radom factory in Poland. Look over the other markings and scope out rifles on the forum to see what all you have.

Enjoy your new rifle, and let us know how it shoots! Welcome and thanks for sharing it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

..It can be fun to try to figure out what all the parts on a RC came from originally, for example the rear barrel band has an eagle 77 (e/77) marking which means that that part was made in the Radom factory in Poland. Look over the other markings and scope out rifles on the forum to see what all you have.

It can be interesting. Almost like a treasure hunt!

Military Rifle Journal
Back