Third Party Press

My complete or rare RG34 kits

Ky1941/ayw1941

WaA57 inside
Oiler with ayw 1941 very difficult to find

These Ky1941 kits with ayw letter coded parts are a clear evidence for the identification of the letters Ky as the Kyffhäuserhütte manufacturer. The ayw letter code was asigned to Aktien-Maschinenfabrik Kyffhäuserhütte in November of 1940.

Everything points that Kyffhäuserhütte in 1941 changed the Ky manufacturer stamp to the ayw letter code on the chain, tool and oiler, but never on the case. At some point in 1941, Kyffhäuserhütte ceased making complete kits but continued manufacturing parts. These Ky1941/awy1941 Rg´s seems to be assembled just after the change to the letter code was made (and just before of the stop of the manufacture of complete kits) or maybe using leftovers of cases with the Ky manufacture stamp. From 1941 Kyffhäuserhütte supplied parts to Braunsweigische Blechwarenfabrik G.m.b.H.

Some very nice cleaning kits!
Thanks for showing.
If you find time, please show some more photos of the tan "ab42" kit.
That is a variation I've never seen before.
Thanks

Ok

Some very nice cleaning kits!
Thanks for showing.
If you find time, please show some more photos of the tan "ab42" kit.
That is a variation I've never seen before.
Thanks

What kind of detailed photo do you want?, of the kit itself or of it's parts?

Attachments

• ab 42 F34 (1).jpg
    ab 42 F34 (1).jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 51
  • ab 42 F34 (2).jpg
    ab 42 F34 (2).jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 50
What kind of detailed photo do you want?, of the kit itself or of it's parts?

Some more photos showing details of the case would be great. I can not make out a WaA. What reinforcing groove? Single or divided?
So far I only encountered tan RG34s made by arr/rco and rbl.
Since the tan "Einheitsfarbe 43" (universal paint 1943) was introduced in January 1943, it is confusing to find it on a 1942 dated cleaning kit.

Great find!

Thanks
Wolfgang

Some more photos showing details of the case would be great. I can not make out a WaA. What reinforcing groove? Single or divided? So far I only encountered tan RG34s made by arr/rco and rbl. Since the tan "Einheitsfarbe 43" (universal paint 1943) was introduced in January 1943, it is confusing to find it on a 1942 dated cleaning kit.

Great find!

Thanks
Wolfgang

Do you think there is a possibility that it could have been period refurbished, repainted with the tan Wolfgang? Just thinking out loud. I'm like you in that I am only familiar with rbl and arr/rco in ordnance tan paint.

Some more photos showing details of the case would be great. I can not make out a WaA. What reinforcing groove? Single or divided?
So far I only encountered tan RG34s made by arr/rco and rbl.
Since the tan "Einheitsfarbe 43" (universal paint 1943) was introduced in January 1943, it is confusing to find it on a 1942 dated cleaning kit.

Great find!

Thanks
Wolfgang

Tomorrow I wil make some extra photos

Do you think there is a possibility that it could have been period refurbished, repainted with the tan Wolfgang? Just thinking out loud. I'm like you in that I am only familiar with rbl and arr/rco in ordnance tan paint.

From what I can see, it doesn't look like it was refurbished. I rather like the idea that it was finished at Braunschweigische/arr in 1943 for whatsoever reason.

Maybe the Braunschweigische had to buy finished/semi finished kits from Mundlos to fulfill Army orders. Have to look through my files about Braunschweigische, if they had any damage from bombing raids in that period.
Somewhere I have some information about the different shades of tan used on equipment. Have to dig that out too.

Some information about tan paint.

In the 1930s RAL7028 was used for agricultural equipment.
A slightly different shade of RAL7028 was used for Army equipment from 1943 on.
In October 1944 the shade of RAL7028 changed again a little bit.

The shades of tan to be used for Afrikakorps equipment were:
RAL8000 (gelbbraun) from March 1941 - May 1942
RAL8020 (sandgelb)
RAL7027 (sandgrau) from May 1942 - May 1943

RAL7021 (schwarzgrau) was the official paint from 1940 - February 1943, as found on most RG34 cleaning kits.

Attached photo shows the difference from Africa tan to ordinance tan.
1941 Luftwaffe Africa buckle with RAL8000 and dual line (arr over 4) RG34 with late RAL7028

If I remember right, all Wehrmacht paint started with RAL7xxx or RAL8xxx

PS: the four digit RAL standards were introduced in 1940
RAL is the abbreviation for Reichsausschuß für Lieferbedingungen, established in 1925.

Attachments

• IMG_5058.jpg
    IMG_5058.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Two more questions please.
@trinxet: bears that tan "ab42" paint on the inside as well?
@all: What manufacturers had the closure clamps painted?
Thanks

G. Appel code 64 with steel latches - All Painted
G. Appel code cnx - All Painted
G. Appel/Mundlos code CNX - Some Painted/Some Blued/Some in the White

Peter Schlesinger code ftd - Some Painted/Some Blued

Unknown Maker code rbl - Some Painted/Some Blued

Have often wondered if there is a connection between ftd and rbl. Some areas of the rbl construction are similar to the ftd while other features are not. The mystery remains.

G. Appel code 64 with steel latches - All Painted
G. Appel code cnx - All Painted
G. Appel/Mundlos code CNX - Some Painted/Some Blued/Some in the White

Peter Schlesinger code ftd - Some Painted/Some Blued

Unknown Maker code rbl - Some Painted/Some Blued

Thanks!
Mundlos and Braunschweigische never had painted latches.
That makes it most unlikely that the ab42 shown here was finished at Braunschweigische Blechwarenfabrik.

:)

Overpainted for Afrika use?

edit: one of my tan arr43 has painted latches.
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?5495-tan-arr43-cleaning-kits

Last edited:
As promised

Two more questions please.
@trinxet: bears that tan "ab42" paint on the inside as well?
Thanks

the Waa243 is very difficult to see due to the corrosion but is there, no painture inside

Attachments

• ab 42 F34 (4).jpg
    ab 42 F34 (4).jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 43
  • ab 42 F34 (5).jpg
    ab 42 F34 (5).jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 45
  • ab 42 F34 (6).jpg
    ab 42 F34 (6).jpg
    242 KB · Views: 45
  • ab 42 F34 (8).jpg
    ab 42 F34 (8).jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 40
  • ab 42 F34 (10).jpg
    ab 42 F34 (10).jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 47
the Waa243 is very difficult to see due to the corrosion but is there, no painture inside

Very interesting. Thanks!
I dare to say that it looks like an original (no doubt about that) overpainted RG34 for the Afrikakorps.
Thanks again for showing!

Military Rifle Journal
Back