Third Party Press

How much should I pay for this K98k

Newbie here, going to get my first K98, 1940, Steyr made "660", mismatching but overall good condition.
The seller's asking for $850. Reasonable price?

Thanks!

IMG_2474.JPG
IMG_2475.JPG
IMG_2476.JPG
IMG_2477.JPG
IMG_2478.JPG

$850 is a bit high considering it's probably a parts gun. Bands and stock probably aren't correct (660 1940 should have a flat butt plate and milled H-bands). Interestingly, 2135n is actually the highest reported serial # for 660 1940. The bolt also decreases value since it doesn't match itself. I would say $500 tops

$850 is a bit high considering it's probably a parts gun. Bands and stock probably aren't correct (660 1940 should have a flat butt plate and milled H-bands). Interestingly, 2135n is actually the highest reported serial # for 660 1940. The bolt also decreases value since it doesn't match itself. I would say $500 tops

Thank you very much! Does c&r stuff also cost more in California?
I probably should stick to this forum for my first k98...

Bands, butt plate and bolt all look really white. Buffed? Also the receiver looks strangely blue. Redone? I'd pass at that price. You can do much better IMHO.

Barrel code is interesting. St. G...?

Thank you very much! Does c&r stuff also cost more in California?
I probably should stick to this forum for my first k98...

Firearms in specific tend to be more expensive in California. You should definitely stick to this forum for your first K98k. Also, invest in some books. I got my first K98k from this forum. The members here are great and won't steer you wrong

interesting thread, I also have the same question
o.png

Reblued, buffed parts, replacement stock, etc etc. Hard pass. You can do a lot better for a little more, or a bit less.

..Do we know more about the company Steirische Gussstahlwerke?

Edit - http://www.geheimprojekte.at/firma_rhg_gussstahl_judenburg.html

Going back to the barrel code StG, how prolific were they as a barrel supplier? Have many been observed? In looking into this further it seems both West and Ost werke are still there in Judenburg. Certainly this barrel was made in the old (1906) Westwerke which had been absorded into Reichswerke Hermann Göring. It also seems they used Girod type EAF as early as May of 1907 which is quite early for a commercial facility.

Interested to hear any other comments or information.

Military Rifle Journal
Back