Third Party Press

A fishy K98...Mitchell's?

Zeppelin5000

Just browsing Gunbroker and found this. Does it look like a Mitchell's to you guys? Seems like the seller doesn't know much about K98's.... I don't know why he says it was made in 1938 yet the receiver says bnz 42..

Mod edit:

Seller= Kiko242

basic auction, current bid = $705 with 4 bids and 4 days to go

seller description:

"For sale is an original 98K WWII Nazi Germany Mauser, complete with Nazi Waffenamt proofs. This particular legendary rifle was manufactured in 1938 at the famous Steyr factory, making it one of the most sought-after K98s available. Considered as a consensus to be the ultimate Mauser and bolt-action action design in general, this gun is an absolute work of art and amazing piece of history. This is a stunning rifle, and while I am not a professional firearm rater, I believe it is safe to say this would grade as very good. When compared to other K98s, this condition is truly remarkable. As you can see in the pictures, this gun is complete with original Nazi Waffenamt proofs. I took pics at the ones I could find, but I am sure I missed plenty of them. The wood is in fantastic shape, and is built incredibly strong and sturdy. There is no rust or pitting that I am able to detect on the metal, and the bluing is still in incredible condition. The action is as smooth as glass and the trigger is phenomenal. This gun is truly a phenomenal piece of craftsmanship and engineering. The rifling and bore are strong and bright. Not only will this piece be an incredible piece of history for any collector, but is also a tremendous shooter. The sling appears to be a reproduction but is nice and highly functional. All antique firearms are sold under “as-is” condition. I try to be very thorough and accurate in my descriptions as best and transparent as possible. Thank you for your understanding. Please take all the proper precautions necessary before shooting older firearms. Price reflects USPS money order price only. PayPal also accepted (add 3% for PayPal transactions). I will ship to licensed FFL or C&R once the funds clear for $40.00 to the lower 48 states only (with the exception of California and New Jersey). It is up to the buyer to know the legality of firearms and magazines in your state. I take great pride in high quality shipping materials and standards. Of course, I insure the packages and will provide a tracking number. Thank you for bidding."

Attachments

• crap1.jpg
    crap1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 64
  • crap2.jpg
    crap2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 54
  • crap3.jpg
    crap3.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 66
  • crap4.jpg
    crap4.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 52
  • crap5.jpg
    crap5.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 50
  • crap6.jpg
    crap6.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 60
  • crap7.jpg
    crap7.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 45
  • crap8.jpg
    crap8.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 44
  • crap9.jpg
    crap9.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 44
  • crap10.jpg
    crap10.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 34
  • crap11.jpg
    crap11.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 35
  • crap12.jpg
    crap12.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 31
  • crap13.jpg
    crap13.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed it is the style of a Mitchell's K98 is easy too tell. Can even see their import mark on the barrel. Price for this rifle is crazy for what this thing is. Seller has no clue on information about K98k rifles. The only thing he got right is rifle is German, used during WWII, its bolt action, and was made by Steyr.

Indeed it is the style of a Mitchell's K98 is easy too tell. Can even see their import mark on the barrel. Price for this rifle is crazy for what this thing is. Seller has no clue on information about K98k rifles. The only thing he got right is rifle is German, used during WWII, its bolt action, and was made by Steyr.

Haha. Yeah, I did notice the import mark after I posted this. Sometimes it's hard to tell if someone really doesn't know what they are selling or if they are trying to get one over on people... There are 4 bids on it with a few days still left. Goes to show doing your homework really pays off. Unless the bidders just don't care.

WAR EAGLES!!!:moon: and a polished bolt handle, a sure sign it belonged to the 452nd Mechanized Fallschirmjäger Sturmabteilung Pimpshiners.

KJ

Last edited:
Looks like someone is going too get Ben'd over with this rifle! Plus this rifle doesn't have the special door smashing buttplate!

WAR EAGLES!!!:moon: Polished bolt handle, a sure sign it belonged to the 452nd Mechanized Fällschirmjäger Sturmabteilung Pimpshiners.

KJ

I was thinking more like the SS Panzer Grenadier special recon assault sniper mobile marine infantry mountain unit! Under the command of Sgt Schultz!

A picture of one of these elite members.

funny 4.jpg

Looks like the hook already snagged 4 bids for this "incredible piece of history for any collector" at 700+...

narf.

How is it people can figure out how to use the internet for gunbroker but still can't use Google?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

How is it people can figure out how to use the internet for gunbroker but still can't use Google?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It's 2018 and some people still apparently believe that the world is flat. If these suckers are too lazy to google "k98" and come to this website for twenty minutes, they more or less have this coming. You don't buy a car or a house blind, but some people will throw thousands at a gun with no concept of what it really is. The seller is awful, but these people are willfully stupid.

It's 2018 and some people still apparently believe that the world is flat. If these suckers are too lazy to google "k98" and come to this website for twenty minutes, they more or less have this coming. You don't buy a car or a house blind, but some people will throw thousands at a gun with no concept of what it really is. The seller is awful, but these people are willfully stupid.
The world is flat. they're launching a rocket to do what hasn't been done before to prove it. duh

One thing that i always wonder with these mitchells hump jobs is what treatment do the stocks get to make them so bright.Sanding can only do so much.And why buff the bolts???Sickening to see such bad treatment of firearms.

One thing that i always wonder with these mitchells hump jobs is what treatment do the stocks get to make them so bright.Sanding can only do so much.And why buff the bolts???Sickening to see such bad treatment of firearms.

Bleach and oxalic acid on the stock most likely. You can really bleach them out if that's what you're after. Dandy Don and his trained monkeys have been at it long enough to get really good at creating 'that look'. I agree, the heavy buffing is to get rid of the ep from all those Russian mismatched parts.

Hype piled on top of hyperbole. Who wrote his description? Commonwealth? Elite? I do not think this is Mitchell's work, but it's in his style for sure.

As others said, he conveniently forgot to mention the import mark. At least he didn't blatantly lie and say it was a bringback. Import mark.PNG

IMHO not a Mitchell rifle at all - but a pimped rifle for sure.

Mitchell would often re-blue etc. the result being a rifle very appealing to the unknowing eye.

The only thing appealing about this rifle is maybe the code and initially a sharp looking stock. However on the left butt is clearly the re-serialized stock number which has been sanded. The finish is clearly RC. Put one and one together you get pimped out RC.

I always wonder if it is the seller who is a piece of shite? Or were they taken advantage of previously?

Bleach and oxalic acid on the stock most likely. You can really bleach them out if that's what you're after. Dandy Don and his trained monkeys have been at it long enough to get really good at creating 'that look'. I agree, the heavy buffing is to get rid of the ep from all those Russian mismatched parts.

Hype piled on top of hyperbole. Who wrote his description? Commonwealth? Elite? I do not think this is Mitchell's work, but it's in his style for sure.

As others said, he conveniently forgot to mention the import mark. At least he didn't blatantly lie and say it was a bringback. View attachment 170875

..I always wonder if it is the seller who is a piece of shite? Or were they taken advantage of previously?

That my friend is the million dollar question. Same as when Ben trotted out that pile of shiite 'just out of some collection'. Sure they are. Every single one was worked over is one way or another. I wondered did he buy them that way or commission someone to make them. Unless you have inside information you just can't know.

perch_bait_soft_lures_large.gif

With our unique and special contacts, “in country” and a lot of secretive work avoiding Soviet and American intelligence officers, we are finally able to bring you this truly unique and historic firearm which was located in a long forgotten former SS warehouse that once housed the equipment for one of Hitlers bodyguards units. We located several of these warehouses near the Berghof over the years, before they were looted. This is why these rifles are a bit different (better!!!) than standard, run of the mill K98K rifles. With well pronounced WAR EAGLES and highly polished bolts, made of special steel that takes and retains a shine for parade purposes, this rifle is truly, a cut above.

Do not listen to detractors. :moon:

KJ

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back