Third Party Press
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S.Mi.35 (Sprengen Mine 1935) aka the "Bouncing Betty"

Default S.Mi.35 (Sprengen Mine 1935) aka the "Bouncing Betty"

Just picked up one of these from Russia from a good seller. All original paint and original condition. A little background:

Last edited by Hambone; 02-17-2018 at 07:31 PM.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

General pics and cross section:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

The design and manufacture is incredible really, particularly for a land mine. It's a scary thing. They were designed to be configured in a number of different ways, with different fusing types, such as the three prong pressure detonator, for trip wires, and for command detonation. There was even a variant that was electrically fired from discharges on the Tiger tank to clear hostile infantry from the tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hambone; 02-17-2018 at 06:26 PM.

Landmines have always interested in me. I used to have a few, mostly antitank, but that was some time back. The S mine is just evil. Its so well thought out, versatile, easy enough to make. Just a killer all around. I'll bet that your mine was pulled off a battlefield in the recent past in one form or another.

Very cool HB. Thanks for sharing.

That's amazing! I have wanted one of those for a while, but they really seemed to have dried up....

That one is beautiful!

Thank you. The source I got this one from has another couple nice ones I believe. The engineering and complexity of the manufacture in these is amazing really. That they would got to that trouble and manufacture with such tolerances, complexity of parts, and with such machining that was just going to get buried in the ground by the thousands to pop up in the air and spray people with shrapnel.....They make a nice heavy paperweight too.

A nasty piece of equipment.

Heard my dad talk of the bouncing betty many times it and the Shuemine that our engineers mine detectors wouldn't pick up (Wooden box) nice example Ham these are quite collectible and have went up a lot through the years. timothy

Very cool Hambone.Our troops called it the "de bollocker".As mines go these were and still would be a particularly nasty bit of kit.