Third Party Press
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: S.Mi.35 (Sprengen Mine 1935) aka the "Bouncing Betty"

Really nice shape, including the ink stamp
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Now the base is fully assembled, set it up-right, now you would attach the three detonators, which I don't have yet, and then you place the inner ring in its machined slot. Then the outer ring goes on.

The space between the two rings would be filled with the shrapnel load, and the cushioning string put on top of the shrapnel. This just helped cushion the impact of the shrapnel due to inertia on the top plate once the mine is initiated.

Then the top plate is put on, and a nut used to tighten everything down. Then put on the three detonator screws, and the filler screw. For transport a bakelite cover would screw onto the fuze spigot to protect the threads.

Looking at the top plate, this mine was manufactured by Richard Rinker (well known manufacturer of stick grenades) in 1940. Still has the white ink stamped WaA, and black loading stamp on it. The quality of the markings and paint and components is what really sold me on this one.

Note the three small holes in the outer case, and the bottom of the mine. When the mine is placed in the case, these lines up and were secured with three small shear screws to keep the mine assembled.

Also not the roughly 1/4" paintless ring around the outside of the top of the mine. On these early ones this was sealed with a soldered on lead strip to waterproof the assembly. The outer case has good original paint on the outside, and the perfect polished interior.

I will post some pics later with the S.Mi.35 Zunder attached, and when I get the three way adapter I'll post more new ones...

Hope these posts were informative....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last few for now...

Country Boy

Super nice Betty. I'll post some pics of my junker when I get a chance.

Add a 1938 Richard Rinker S.Mi.35 Zunder, and Bob''s your Uncle...

Will do until I get my three way with S.Mi.35 Zunder and two pull fuzes....

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pzjgr View Post
    ..and two pull fuzes....
    Oh you bad. The GC won't like you
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Ok, if you ever need to fill an S-Mine, order yourself 500 3/8" ball bearings on eBay for roughly $17 shipped, and pour them into the inner and outer rings, they fit perfect, and it will take roughly 360 or so to fill it...

Found an old piece of thin rope in the garage, made the cushion...I think I can find some brass tube to make the detonators, and it will be complete!

Just waiting on the new fuze setup...

That is damn cool Mike!

Here ya go!

That's coming together nicely Mike
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945