Third Party Press

S.Mi.35 (Sprengen Mine 1935) aka the "Bouncing Betty"

I can't say how much we currently use it, but it is in the inventory. The previous one begged us out of a lot of things we used to do routinely. I know the UN in particular hates land mines. Can't say I blame them much either.

In 1985 at Benning we trained with these a lot. Employ, recover and plan strategies for their most effective use. Mines were a pretty large piece of OSUT back then.

FASCAM is the way to go, great to deploy at choke points....:thumbsup:

I wonder how the old flail tanks would work on clearing them?

Pretty good I'd have to guess. If you could find it before you tripped it then it was an easy thing to disarm. The fuses are right on top. The main fuse / detonator with the three prongs screws right off. Once you've removed that there is nothing to detonate the explosive charge. Then it is nothing more than removing the fusing screws and the other fuses. There are three tiny screws in the bottom which securing the "bouncing" part inside the main shell. The main fuse (with the prongs) goes off when it is stepped on (a spring loaded striker is released which hits a "primer"/detonator) then a charge is detonated which starts the fuses to the explosive. They can be adjusted so that the thing detonates at various heights, probably from about groin level to head level.

With respect to tanks, they were also fitted to Tiger tanks to clear out pesky infantry. They were electrically fired from within the tank.
http://tiger1.info/EN/S-mine-for-Tiger.html

I meant climate. iPhone autocorrect is a party sometimes. I suspect that the soviets handed the mines out as well, to be honest. They were apt to throw stuff away.

Thanks for sharing that vid Ham. I also did not realize they had already used a Y coupler for two sources of ignition. We also copied that idea on the Claymore so you can use a trip wire and command det on the same mine.

Think my biggest fear as an engineer if I had to remove these mines is if the guy who laid them put a anti removal mechanism on them. Heard of horror stories of that happening.

Mine...mine ...mine...all mine

Another one. Last pic is choice of detonators..

Attachments

• mine2.JPG
    mine2.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 35
  • mine3.JPG
    mine3.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 34
  • mine4.JPG
    mine4.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 35
  • mine5.JPG
    mine5.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 32
  • mine6.JPG
    mine6.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 29
  • mine1.jpg
    mine1.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 38
Think my biggest fear as an engineer if I had to remove these mines is if the guy who laid them put a anti removal mechanism on them. Heard of horror stories of that happening.

Mines can be employed in some really twisted ways. Tall grass or brush where you can't get a metal detector or probe in to check for stuff. What's cute is when they stack mines. You dig one deep hole and place a mine at the bottom, some dirt, and then put a second mine on top of the first. You go to pull the first and a pull fuze sets off the second. Or, you pull the first, don't bother checking the bottom of the hole, cover it up and move along, leaving the one live mine in situ to blow up later.

All complete

All parts assembled...pretty cool talking piece when people see it.

Attachments

• image2(1).jpeg
    image2(1).jpeg
    32.5 KB · Views: 34
  • image3(1).jpeg
    image3(1).jpeg
    25.5 KB · Views: 41
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 36
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 36
  • image1(1).jpeg
    image1(1).jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 37
Yes indeed, cooler than a stick grenade I think, much more engineering, and plenty more dreadful. Cool s-mine Jack.

Bouncing Betty, nice. I was a Combat Engineer in the Corps. Our instructor set off one of my practice bouncing Betz. The cardboard cone hit him right in the yam-bag !! He was pissed that he didn't see it. Didn't have to dig his own grave though like we did if we set one off. Here we are at demo school, I'm the "big-un"

DSC03237.JPG

Military Rifle Journal
Back