Third Party Press
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: S.Mi.35 (Sprengen Mine 1935) aka the "Bouncing Betty"

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

A nasty bit of kit indeed. Of course you may know we were so impressed with it's 'abilities' we had to copy it. M16, M16A1 and consequently and not surprisingly the South Koreans and so the ROK have deployed millions of their own KM16A2. Still to this day ultra effective especially with trip wires, counter trip wires and anti-handling devices sprinkled throughout the minefield. Always one of those things you never wanted to encounter in the wild.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

HM, didn't even know that. We still use it and derivatives evidently. It's a direct knockoff, with obvious manufacturing shortcuts and cost saving....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_mine
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

And one that IMHO is also a derivative, and to me, way scarier is the ADAM, and its derivative, the M86 Pursuit Deterrent Munition, basically an ADAM designed to be hand deployable, mainly used by SF....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M86_Pu...rrent_Munition

wonder how many original ones are still lurking

Quote Originally Posted by sprat View Post
    wonder how many original ones are still lurking
    I've read that plenty of tellermines are hanging around in North Africa, lurking. The client has kept them in decent shape.

Another entertaining knock off of this mine concept is the US M-2. It uses an upside 60mm mortar projectile as the the killer, and it gets kicked up out of the tube when triggered. Weird idea, but an interesting spin on things.

Fig242.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_mine

Quote Originally Posted by nirvana View Post
    I've read that plenty of tellermines are hanging around in North Africa, lurking. The client has kept them in decent shape.
    I'd heard this also. By 'client', you mean client state? Supplied postwar by Soviets or one of her satellites? Interesting. Kind of crazy like the 10.5 cm leFH 18 turning up in Syria AND being used fairly extensively.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    HM, didn't even know that. We still use it and derivatives evidently.
    I can't say how much we currently use it, but it is in the inventory. The previous one begged us out of a lot of things we used to do routinely. I know the UN in particular hates land mines. Can't say I blame them much either.

In 1985 at Benning we trained with these a lot. Employ, recover and plan strategies for their most effective use. Mines were a pretty large piece of OSUT back then.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    I'd heard this also. By 'client', you mean client state? Supplied postwar by Soviets or one of her satellites? Interesting. Kind of crazy like the 10.5 cm leFH 18 turning up in Syria AND being used fairly extensively.
    I think he meant "climate". I've seen video of digging where they pop the ignitors / detonators on them. I wouldn't be out in an old S-mine field stomping about and digging.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

I think he meant "climate".
    Lol. That's makes sense.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I think he meant "climate". I've seen video of digging where they pop the ignitors / detonators on them. I wouldn't be out in an old S-mine field stomping about and digging.

I wonder how the old flail tanks would work on clearing them?