Third Party Press

Late byf44 with un-numbered parts.

chasdev

Neighbor lady wanted me to advise her on her dad's K98 so I took a look and found the following.
All matching numbers four digit serial n suffix, late recoil lug, drilled for cleaning rod, but the following parts were un-numbered.
Stock, handguard, rear sight base ramp and slider, floorplate and trigger guard (two hole, no keepers) safety lever, barrel bands and late band spring.
Duffle cut and sadly had been sanded to hell and gone and stained..
I told her from 7/8 to maybe on a very good day 12, and on a crazy day maybe more, but not to take less than 8 even in an emergency.
Offered to help sell it but by the time I got home her son who had previously said he was not interested in guns and to dump them, had a change of heart and declared he wanted to keep it..
She also had a tiny Walther 25 pistol and a nice 1961 Browning light 12 auto shotgun in very good condition.

Attachments

• 54060228679__430F8D8E-A43F-4F31-AA6A-6C9211BA4AFE.jpg
    54060228679__430F8D8E-A43F-4F31-AA6A-6C9211BA4AFE.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
An n block byf 44 is actually rare. I do not use that word very often. It would be a worthwhile restoration project. It would not likely sell for a matching rifle price, but it would be desirable. Most MO n blocks are bcd 4's or ar 44's.

It’ll have Redfield mounts and a scope soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly it appears that family is devoted to the complete destruction of that rifle. Chas, I'd say on a good day $500.00. Sounds like when you told them that the kid thought he hit the scratch off lotto and he heard $1000, which to him meant it had to be worth three times that and you wanted it. He'll now be off on the his odyssey of frustration and in a couple years what's left of that thing will be sold for $250.

Joke is on them if they think they'll get anything near what it's worth, even with a messed up stock!

She had already gotten some lowball offers and I was acting as the anti pawn star factor and had warned her about local dealers offering next to nothing.
Rare suffix aside, she knows it's worth within farting distance of 1K.
I'll try to convince her to sell it to a collector (me I hope) so it can be preserved but am not optimistic.

Problem is at $1000 you have to find a good stock which will cost you almost that. Even being an n block it’s probably too high. If you get a chance to buy it I would try to stay under 800 myself and I collect such things.

It’ll have Redfield mounts and a scope soon enough.

Son is not a gun guy but when he heard it might be worth more than the nothing they thought it was worth, he snagged it from mom right quick.
No danger of drilling and tapping, if they won't accept a decent offer, back in the closet it goes.

I agree with mrfarb. A collector may be willing to pay what you stated, but they do not have good access to collectors. They do not have the knowledge or experience to sell it for a higher price. You should tell them that whatever you offer is likely to be the highest offer they will hear and that anything they do to the rifle will make it less valuable.

I played it all wrong, she thought it was worth $50 and I, trying to prevent her from getting ripped off and also being too kind told her $600 but then I told her suffix n made it rare and it was worth more than the $6.
Boy howdy was that a mistake as the son/s are taking over and going their own way at least for now.
I predict they will hit a dry hole and come back tail between legs so I can get another shot at it but for the present, it's over.
At least I got a pic of the receiver.

Exactly !! You did the right thing morally, be good with that mentally. Hope you end up with it. I told a guy with a matching 337/1939 around 15 years ago it was worth more than he was asking for it, then he wouldn't sell it at all, even to this day.

I played it all wrong, she thought it was worth $50 and I, trying to prevent her from getting ripped off and also being too kind told her $600 but then I told her suffix n made it rare and it was worth more than the $6.
Boy howdy was that a mistake as the son/s are taking over and going their own way at least for now.
I predict they will hit a dry hole and come back tail between legs so I can get another shot at it but for the present, it's over.
At least I got a pic of the receiver.

You absolutely did the right thing and hopefully if they decide to sell it they give you first crack at it.

You did the right thing.

Speak with the woman again. Tell her exactly what you'd give her. However, tell her the offer is good for 90 days, after that it expires. However, if anything is done to the rifle your offer is voided.
Then tell her that during those 90 days she, her son(s) or whomever should attempt to sell the rifle. Finally, tell her, should she sell it for more than your offer, you will be happy for her.

Military Rifle Journal
Back