Third Party Press

G43 ac44 Restore

Since I was putting it back together, I figured I’d shoot a pic of the band going on for you.
RkrQsqH.jpg

Outstanding! Thanks.

Very well done! Just like a beautiful painting.

It looks like a lot of the rust colored slop was old cosmoline more than anything. Much more time added to it and it would have definitely went to full blown rust and pitting. Total save.

Outstanding! Thanks.

Very well done! Just like a beautiful painting.

It looks like a lot of the rust colored slop was old cosmoline more than anything. Much more time added to it and it would have definitely went to full blown rust and pitting. Total save.
There was some old cosmoline that I removed, but most was surface rust that was in every crevice. A few places like on the barrel end, metal parts touching wood, and the scope rail started to have deeper rust, which ended in some minor pitting.

All in all, I would say with a magazine and a shooters kit, it would be a safe and fun gun to shoot. I toyed around with the idea of getting a shooters kit, but having a hard time justifying fun for a chance to damage even one serialized part.

Last edited:
This thread is amazing. Thank you. I love Kroil oil. I discovered from the bench rest crowd about 20 years ago. I can not imagine life without it, for cars, guns, anything metal. It can help save your stuff and it is pretty harmless.

I have had the same problem with brass or bonze wool and brushes. You clean it, then you clean it to remove the brass color. I have used a tooth brush, hot water with dawn, hot rinse, hairdryer, then a quick oil. Apply RIG as one reassembles.

Amazing job on the whole thread, pictures, clean up, etc.. Thanks again.

Beautiful work!
Thank you!

This thread is amazing. Thank you. I love Kroil oil. I discovered from the bench rest crowd about 20 years ago. I can not imagine life without it, for cars, guns, anything metal. It can help save your stuff and it is pretty harmless.

I have had the same problem with brass or bonze wool and brushes. You clean it, then you clean it to remove the brass color. I have used a tooth brush, hot water with dawn, hot rinse, hairdryer, then a quick oil. Apply RIG as one reassembles.

Amazing job on the whole thread, pictures, clean up, etc.. Thanks again.
Thank you too. I am a forum admin for a different forum and I know from past experience that if you want to receive help from folks, then you need to give back to the community. I hope this thread can help someone else as a number of you helped me.

Small update: Finally found a magazine local here in Dallas. Guy has four of them that I can choose from, all are marked "k43 gcb". Probably pick one this week.

I think these are pretty common examples? Is there anything I should look for in particular in a magazine?

Picked up the magazine today from Jackson Armory here in Dallas. Got the below K43 gcb WaAB92 with third rib:

Q61Jdgw.jpg

x9slokV.jpg

pHJfj1u.jpg

jkVl8eL.jpg

Last edited:
That one is not just too common to find. aye mags are most common and I will guess gcb mags are probably next in “easiest to find” catagory line after aye mags. The mag floorplate rib is cool too and a little more difficult to find. Other than the paint loss, I would say you got a decent “not so easy mag” to find. Most mags went through a lot anyway and paint loss isn’t a super big deal. Heck, it’s kind of gettng a little harder these days even finding these mags now. Most of them have crazy price tags on them.

That one is not just too common to find. aye mags are most common and I will guess gcb mags are probably next in “easiest to find” catagory line after aye mags. The mag floorplate rib is cool too and a little more difficult to find. Other than the paint loss, I would say you got a decent “not so easy mag” to find. Most mags went through a lot anyway and paint loss isn’t a super big deal. Heck, it’s kind of gettng a little harder these days even finding these mags now. Most of them have crazy price tags on them.
Thank you. I had read that the third rib meant an earlier mag than the two rib variety as the third rib was one of those areas removed for easier production later in the war. I don't know if this is true or not, but assuming it is, I felt that an earlier k43 mag was the closest i could get to a "g43" stamped mag for my ac44.

The paint loss kind of matches the wear already on my rifle, so it doesn't bother me much.

Just from observing my loose magazines, only 2 of 38 have the third rib. I once ordered 10 magazines from - I believe J&G Sales in Arizona - 12 or so years ago - and they sent me 10 greasy gcb's - which contained the two third ribbed magazines. This always made me think that gcb's were the most common. When I bought six from Sarco like 30 years ago, most were aye with one awj and one acw, but I don't remember the exact amount. I think I have one "+" magazine or maybe I saw it amongst Mike's collection and just wished it was mine.

I don't sell anything, so don't bother to ask.

Just from observing my loose magazines, only 2 of 38 have the third rib. I once ordered 10 magazines from - I believe J&G Sales in Arizona - 12 or so years ago - and they sent me 10 greasy gcb's - which contained the two third ribbed magazines. This always made me think that gcb's were the most common. When I bought six from Sarco like 30 years ago, most were aye with one awj and one acw, but I don't remember the exact amount. I think I have one "+" magazine or maybe I saw it amongst Mike's collection and just wished it was mine.

I don't sell anything, so don't bother to ask.
Interesting statistics. Nice collection too.

Military Rifle Journal
Back