Third Party Press

Gewehr 88/05 shootability

AjPjSay

Sorry if this doesn't belong here not being Mauser related and all, I saw something about the Kar88 stickied and figured it was ok.

I have an S-marked Gewehr 88/05, Turkish sight markings but NOT an 88/05/35, and was wondering whether or not the S(pitzer) mark confirms that shooting .323 is safe. Various sources said it was okay, and just as many others said that the S doesn't explicitly confirm anything. Of course slugging the bore is no big deal and I'll probably get around to it but I figured I'd ask and save myself the trip to the hardware shop. Thanks.

Despite being great rifles, the entire design of the Gew88 is not as fool proof and robust as the K98. While some say it's OK to fire modern over the counter 8mm rounds through the Gew88 because of their anemic powder charges, I would still not feel comfortable squeezing a .323 projectile through a .321 or .318 pipe. The receiver of a Gew88 says what it says, but keep in mind, since no sights need to be indexed when replacing Gew88 barrels, it is a tempting task for Uncle Cletus to swap a worn barrel in the shed. Since barrels of all sizes were always available, who knows if the replacement barrel was really .323 as the marking on the receiver and barrel shroud indicate, or maybe only .318. Just because it didn't blow up in Cletus' face doesn't mean it couldn't happen to you. Make the trip to the hardware store, get a couple lead sinkers, a brass rod and slug the barrel. Better safe than sorry.

..slug the barrel. Better safe than sorry.

Seconds. Slugging is your friend on 100+ year old rifles. With a Carcano it's almost a given unless you like shooting keyholes at 25 yards.

Edit - I've used plain wooden dowels without issue. Cut them into manageable lengths.

Military Rifle Journal
Back