Third Party Press

For discussion or detection - let's debate

Looks like it passed through the Elite depot just a few weeks ago.

This is my favorite quote of the whole description. "Many novice collectors have tried to "correct" guns of this type, by replacing such parts, in the process obscuring the history and damaging a rare, correct piece. Lucky, this one has escaped, preserved a correct untouched specimen of a rare type. No import mark. No duffle cut. Devoid of any post war tampering, this is an extraordinarily fine K98."

Well, first off, the bayo lugg straight up doesn't match. has a 00 instead of a 65. Bolt root has obviously been ground down and re-numbered. Trigger guard and floor plate numbering also look terrible. Firing pin has obviously been renumbered. Now the barrel is kinda a mystery to me. So the gun was obviously manufactured in 1940 (660 1940), but it appears so was the barrel (indicated by the 40 in picture 29). I highly doubt the rifle was re-barreled. Did Elite put fake 0.2 stamps to try and pass it off as a depot re-work? Also, most of the rear sights parts are WaA623 marked with the exception of the E/359 marked sight base. Did Walther provide subcontracted parts to Steyr?

Well, first off, the bayo lugg straight up doesn't match. has a 00 instead of a 65. Bolt root has obviously been ground down and re-numbered. Trigger guard and floor plate numbering also look terrible. Firing pin has obviously been renumbered. Now the barrel is kinda a mystery to me. So the gun was obviously manufactured in 1940 (660 1940), but it appears so was the barrel (indicated by the 40 in picture 29). I highly doubt the rifle was re-barreled. Did Elite put fake 0.2 stamps to try and pass it off as a depot re-work? Also, most of the rear sights parts are WaA623 marked with the exception of the E/359 marked sight base. Did Walther provide subcontracted parts to Steyr?

Did you also notice it has the same stock color and bluing as all of his K98 rifles he's sells. If you a collector of depot rifles they are a minefield. Easy too fake and post some BS saying well thats how it was done the armorer was just trying too get it back in the field for action. And bidders will believe every word of it, after all your buying from the Elitecollection.

If you go to the bidding history, you will note that Legacy Collectibles was bidding on it. That bolt has to be humped.

KJ

Sold! Dammit, I missed out. Duh.
He's starting a new phase of life? He's probably crippled his hands from missing the stamps and mashing his fingers with his hammer.

Did you also notice it has the same stock color and bluing as all of his K98 rifles he's sells. If you a collector of depot rifles they are a minefield. Easy too fake and post some BS saying well thats how it was done the armorer was just trying too get it back in the field for action. And bidders will believe every word of it, after all your buying from the Elitecollection.

I noticed that the stock color/finish seems off. I didn't connect that all the rifle he sells have the same stock color and bluing. Depot builds/reworks do get a little screwy. I have one Posen re-worked barreled action (I'm trying to be a novice and restore/damage it...), so I found it odd that the sights were mostly E/623 marked (My S/42G rear sight assembly has inspections/marks from a wide range of different manufactures [Astrawerke base, Sauer leaf, BSW slider, etc]). There's too many uninformed bidders/buyers. Facebook was a shite show yesterday with everyone and anyone trying to snatch up Classic's abortions...

My first thought on clicking the link was that it was someone trying to re-re-refinish a mitchell's to pass as original state...

What a stinker.

I like that it has bluing INSIDE the barrel still. That's great. My favorite quote from the description:

near mint in appearance... as if the armorer had finished only yesterday

Well, because it probably was finished yesterday by someone.

If you go to the bidding history, you will note that Legacy Collectibles was bidding on it. That bolt has to be humped.

KJ

I have to ask. Is legacy collectibles bad? They seem to have some cool stuff time to time. Also, wow! Those bolt serials are so bad even I could tell they where renumbered! :facepalm:

Very good post for study. It looks like it has legitimate rework aspects to it. However, it has been wanked and pimped hard.

This is where I hoped this would go. I have some opinions about certain aspects. Maybe we can judge some of these and see what we come up with?

bolt numbers larger.jpgbolt numbers.jpgcold blue..PNGnope.jpgodd finish wear near serial number.PNG

This is where I hoped this would go. I have some opinions about certain aspects. Maybe we can judge some of these and see what we come up with?

View attachment 171354View attachment 171355View attachment 171356View attachment 171357View attachment 171358

It's trying hard but looks wanked. I'm not feeling the numbering, and certainly not the stock numbering. It has a .02 barrel to indicate replacement. It's like someone who has a general idea of reworks got hold of a barreled action and wanked and pimped the rest. That's my story and I'm sticking with it for now, until a better story comes along :thumbsup:

Military Rifle Journal
Back