Third Party Press

G/K43 shooting questions,

My post may not have been clear. My apologies. What I was referencing in my OP was PRVI components for reloading, not PRVI loaded ammo. I purchased both brass and 198 gr FMJ projectiles to hopefully load to 198-200 grain milsurp specs, which would be around 2500 FPS, if I am correct. That is the goal at least, as long as gas system is tuned for 8’-10’ ejection and there are no other concerns about the actions strength to handle such fairly stout loads on a fairly regular basis. The actual PRVI factory loaded ammo I’ve tested is fairly mild in my opinion. Both the 196 grain SP’s and 198 grain FMJ’s clock between 2100 and 2200 FPS in my rifle. That seems to be about the norm for those cartridges from my understanding. I hope this clears up any confusion I may have caused. Please let me know if this changes your previously stated opinion in any way. Thanks.

You need to remember these rifles where designed to shoot the standard service round. So if you can eliminate the main problem by putting in the new gas system, everything else by design should be able to handle the round. Mabey just be a little cautious if the rifle was made close to the end of the war, better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the info. I think I’m good. Mine is an ac44 “h” block. Granted, I built this rifle with a bolt group from a different rifle, but all seems to work well with factory and reloads with shooters kit installed. I’m going to try and work up a load slowly and carefully.

PRVI new brass and 198 grain FMJ’s arrived. Hornady 8mm modified case arises today. I should be able to determine exactly where the bullet engages the rifling for optimum seating depth for any Bullet.

ac44 trigger not resetting occasionally???

Yesterday I tested some PRVI 198 FMJ's and IMR4064. I worked up from 43.5 to 45 grains, the later giving me an average Velocity of 2273 fps. This was consistent with my Hornady book which states their 196 FMJ should do 2300 fps with the same load of 4064. Pressure signs on the cases were fine, so I should be able to slowly increase the load a bit more. At 100 yards, the 45 grain load grouped 5 @ 2-1/2" with the brass being tossed only 8' - 10' using a shooters kit, which seems about perfect to me. The brass looked very good, with only the tiniest of nicks from ejection. But....

...while testing these and a few other loads, I had occasions where the gun cycled properly, ejecting the spent case and feeding the next round, but the trigger would not reset for the next shot. Has anyone had this happen on their G/K43's before? Since the hammer is cocked and locked well before the next round gets stripped from the magazine, I can't figure what is causing the sear/trigger engagement to not reset.

I have noticed that my trigger pull is VERY light. I've even had an accidental discharge while aiming and not quite ready to fire due to how light the pull is. I know the trigger pull is supposed to be adjustable on these rifles and am wondering if it would be worth trying to increase the pull weight to see if this helps fix this reset problem??
Please help with any suggestion you may have. If I remove the sear/trigger to inspect for excessive wear, what might I look for that would be out of the norm?
Thanks for any help.

Yesterday I tested some PRVI 198 FMJ's and IMR4064. I worked up from 43.5 to 45 grains, the later giving me an average Velocity of 2273 fps. This was consistent with my Hornady book which states their 196 FMJ should do 2300 fps with the same load of 4064. Pressure signs on the cases were fine, so I should be able to slowly increase the load a bit more. At 100 yards, the 45 grain load grouped 5 @ 2-1/2" with the brass being tossed only 8' - 10' using a shooters kit, which seems about perfect to me. The brass looked very good, with only the tiniest of nicks from ejection. But....

...while testing these and a few other loads, I had occasions where the gun cycled properly, ejecting the spent case and feeding the next round, but the trigger would not reset for the next shot. Has anyone had this happen on their G/K43's before? Since the hammer is cocked and locked well before the next round gets stripped from the magazine, I can't figure what is causing the sear/trigger engagement to not reset.

I have noticed that my trigger pull is VERY light. I've even had an accidental discharge while aiming and not quite ready to fire due to how light the pull is. I know the trigger pull is supposed to be adjustable on these rifles and am wondering if it would be worth trying to increase the pull weight to see if this helps fix this reset problem??
Please help with any suggestion you may have. If I remove the sear/trigger to inspect for excessive wear, what might I look for that would be out of the norm?
Thanks for any help.
You might check the trigger spring. When I was putting mine back together (trial and error), I at one point had the trigger spring in wrong and it gave a very light trigger pull, which was too light. It is what made me realize it was in wrong. I would assume a broken trigger spring would probably be similar. Just a guess though.

Outside of that, I'd guess worn sear.

I’m going to combine this with one of your other dozen shooting threads.

I’d try moving the gas up an orifice size. See if it’s better.

I moved up from one smaller orifice that wasn't consistently ejecting cases. Once I moved up to my #5 (of 6 total) orifices, I was getting consistent ejection out to 8' or 10'. If I go to #6 it will be sending them 20' or better. Are you saying an ejection pattern of 8' to 10' isn't enough? The trigger not resetting only happens every now and then. I can shoot an entire magazine with no issues, and then another with one failure to reset, or maybe two. I will check the springs and the sear for wear.

Also, your comment makes it sound like I post too many shooting threads. Can there be such a thing? :)

Polish reproduction stock question

I'm ready to do the final in-letting on the reproduction polish stock I have for my ac44 shooter. The in-letting is straight forward, but this stock is rather "beefy." Is it normal practice to try and reduce the stock profile around the pistol grip and sides to match the original stocks? Did any of the original stocks have a "thicker" profile when made?

Mod, in one of your previous posts you indicated that this site is primarily for collecting. Since the G/K43 series is mechanically more complex than a K98 and even the occasional shooter requiring more attention than its K98 counterpart, could we handle this separately from the collecting aspect and agree on having a technical/gunsmithing/reloading section? In the same area we could also cater to the MP/PTR44 crowd who is also mostly made up of members fighting mechanical gremlins. We used to have GK43forum.com for the technical folks but that site has been history for a long time.

Last edited:
Mod, in one of your previous posts you indicated that this site is primarily for collecting. Since the G/K43 series is mechanically more complex than a K98 and even the occasional shooter requiring more attention than its K98 counterpart, could we handle this separately from the collecting aspect and agree on having a technical/gunsmithing/reloading section? In the same area we could also cater to the MP/PTR44 crowd who is also mostly made up of members fighting mechanical gremlins. We used to have GK43forum.com for the technical folks but that site has been history for a long time.

I know its a complex rifle. And sometimes hard to get it running right. But the basis of the site is collecting, and the shooting threads were outnumbering the collecting threads. Not to mention most guys here don’t shoot them so can offer little help anyways. Regardless, a decision was made to tone it back in all areas. I do not have the power to make a new action, nor the authority, but I will Gladly bring up you suggestion Gunkraut.

So what forum is there where people like myself can discuss reloading and technical aspects of shooting these old rifles, if such discussions are unwanted here?

It not that they can’t be discussed but we are trying to limit the number of threads. The focus here is study and collecting. Gunboards is a good place to discuss shooting of these rifles too.

G/K43 trigger set

Your very light trigger pull is most likely due to the sear adjuster screw turned in too far, which is factory preset and peened in place.

Your very light trigger pull is most likely due to the sear adjuster screw turned in too far, which is factory preset and peened in place.

If the seat adjuster screw is the one to the rear, just over the trigger, then it is not peened in place. I adjusted it in half a turn which increased the pull length a bit and all seems to reset fine but the proof will be in the shooting, as they say.

Military Rifle Journal
Back