Third Party Press

Correct scope for a late BYF43 LT sniper

Finally i've got the needed funds to search and buy a LT scope for my rifle that i posted here some time ago.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?22387-Oberndorf-turret-sniper&highlight=low+turret+scope

Which one would be a correct one to place on late BYF43? And to what should i pay attention so they don't sell me a fake or half-fake one?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello. A BMJ Low Turret Scope or Ajack Low Turret Scope would be correct. Later ones were numbered on the upper area of the ring and not the lip like a Sauer Turret Scope. Prices are all over the place. I snagged an Ajack Low Turret Scope on Ebay for $1500 and I just saw an Ajack Low Turret Scope at The Show of Shows in Louisville, Kentucky for $4500. Same guy had a BMJ Low Turret Scope for for around $4000 I think. I think a really nice BMJ Low Turret Scope sold at Rock Island Auction in 2016 at a Premier Auction for around $4300 with the buyers premium. You could do a search there to see for sure. If I remember correctly it was sold around the spring to fall time span.

Scope

Also, your best bet if you do not know scopes and their characteristics is to post pictures of what you want to buy on here for member review. Things like scope maker serial number can make a big difference in what you are looking at.

Hello. A BMJ Low Turret Scope or Ajack Low Turret Scope would be correct. Later ones were numbered on the upper area of the ring and not the lip like a Sauer Turret Scope. Prices are all over the place. I snagged an Ajack Low Turret Scope on Ebay for $1500 and I just saw an Ajack Low Turret Scope at The Show of Shows in Louisville, Kentucky for $4500. Same guy had a BMJ Low Turret Scope for for around $4000 I think. I think a really nice BMJ Low Turret Scope sold at Rock Island Auction in 2016 at a Premier Auction for around $4300 with the buyers premium. You could do a search there to see for sure. If I remember correctly it was sold around the spring to fall time span.

I'm aware of the (American) prices. On the European continent are the prices a little more decent. At the weapon-fair Kassel November 2017 i saw prices between 2000€ and 2700€ depending on theire condition .

Also, your best bet if you do not know scopes and their characteristics is to post pictures of what you want to buy on here for member review. Things like scope maker serial number can make a big difference in what you are looking at.

I was planning to do this.
I allready learned a lot here.

Yes I would look for a bmj or Ajack. They are the most commonly seen. I believe your rifle is a Mauser Oberndorf correct? If so, what is the letter block? If it's a byf 43 i or k block then I would locate one with the letter stamped on the ring. Please post pictures of any potential purchases.

Letter block on scope ring

Hello
I have seen k and i letter block on scope rings for low turret K98, but never a L.
Regards

Have there been several matching L block snipers with matching scopes reported? Or have several scopes with the L prefix on the scope ring been reported? Thanks

Last edited:
Yes Xavier you are right ....

Database and observations all around the world for 35 years ....Scoped rifles and scopes serial numbers ....

I continued the work of Daniel D....I , "Mauser Kid " with modern means ....

I have today serial numbers of 4296 scoped 98k including ZF41, 413 are matching with scope , really matching , verified .

And yes ,4 BYF43 Low Turret in L letter block exist today with matching scope , always Ajack .

4 matching rifles is not nearly a large enough sample size to come to the conclusion that byf 43 L block turrets should only have Ajack scopes.

Indeed , on such small samples , it is difficult to be categorical ....

On a mathematical level , the Chi2 and Fischer Snedecor test do not yield any significant results , nor does the Brown Forsythe test ....you are right mdarnell19 !

But the last BMJ serial number i have on K (k) letter block is very closed the first BMJ serial number i have on matching turret from January 1944.

Surprisingly, there were few rifles assembled in December 43 compared to the very large number assembled in letters I and K .

This statement only binds me of course ....

Thanks to a member here i finally get my LT-scope.
Not the one that i first was intended to buy (it won't fit on the rifle), but even a nicer one.
DSC07516 (Medium).JPG

Looks like the scopes condition matches the Rifles condition very well , can You post some detailed photos of complete Rifle ???? .
:thumbsup:

Military Rifle Journal
Back