Third Party Press

SOS 2018 Report

bruce98k

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2
Staff member
Back from the show and the best part was seeing many forum members and friends.
The Thursday forum meeting was well attended and a good time all around.

This years show was very thin regarding K98ks. In the past two shows there were two large collections being dispersed.
Such was not the case this year.

I did not purchase any rifles at SOS but did recover with a purchase at the National Gun Day show next door.

Prices of the K98ks I did see were way up and a few that were good did sell.

Really enjoyed meeting some forum members that I had not met in person.

Just got back home today this afternoon. As always good seeing everyone again as well as some new faces at the forum get together too. As Bruce stated the show had very few nice K98k rifles for sale. Most had problems or were faked. Was on the hunt for a nice Gew98 but only saw maybe eight at the show. And every one of them had problems. The worst one was the all matching 1904 Erfurt with a unit marked disk. The stock was heavily cleaned and sanded.

I did come back with a few German Imperial bayonets, a few parts, and a nice cyq P38 pistol bought from my buddy Mike Stevens!

See you all again next year!

No factual basis, but I had a feeling it was going to be a show of shyte this year.

Everyone I know that went got something or sold something, it actually wasn’t a bad weekend. I’m broke now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It definitely was a fun weekend. I came home with some small items, but the best stuff I got were copies of Vol II and III from Bruce. The gun show was an added bonus. I did look around for a nice K98k or M1 Garand, but I didn't see either one that was nice and within my price range.

Sos

.. the darn thing goes too fast. Had a good time seeing other members at both show and forum meeting. My wife claimed my two t-shirts. I sold a lot of g41 parts, but was unable to buy any other parts rifles at a good price. Also, sold a g41 w push button and, then after talking to Mel smith and Richard Milton,, I ended up getting that g41m with the laminate stock. I looked at it for three days, waited till Saturday afternoon( easier to deal). just cleaned it up this evening, and it looks very nice. Got a few good leads on some stuff,, and also I liked that vg-2 rifle. Just a little too pricey,... also,,. good thing about this show is you get to talk with many persons who are on the internet. "....

It wasn’t the best show for german rifles, but most of us still managed to buy. I know I’m out of money. Haha

And I shot a $1 machine gun!!

It was two amazing shows. I saw a few of you but only had Friday before 3 PM in SOS and arrive too late for the meeting Thursday night. Hate that I missed so many of you, even farb. There were a few German snipers in SOS but I did not see one totally right. Maybe others did, or had under the table friend access, but I saw squat.

There were lots of good stuff there. IMO one need be flexible in what they are looking for. If I would have had the money I could have scored some amazing pieces at very good prices.

Hope everyone had a nice show, good scores, fun, fellowship, networking, finds, etc..

Nothing for German Snipers !!!!. Saw a total of 3 Original German Scopes , but thats it . Sold a few items to friends . The highlight of the show for me was seeing all my friends !!!!!!!!!!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sos

I had a good time at the show. Like many, I was hoping to bring home another nice K98k. Unfortunately, pickings were slim.

Andrew did a great job coordinating the forum meet. That's where I purchased a nice 91/30 (thanks Matt). So, at least I didn't come home empty handed.

It was a pleasure listening to Mike and Bruce share information with fellow collectors.

Looking forward to next year.

-1011Z

This is our 2nd meeting - I think for next year I will do an actual presentation, plan it out and everything. Maybe on SS rifles, and bring a few?

I'd love to go for the meet n greet. But just too far to travel for a busted up old Marine. Too much competition for actual buying in the show too. I'm a realist and traveling to a place to buy something that all your friends will be trying to buy as well just is a stretch. Unless you're first in the door and can get first look at stuff. Guess you can tell big shows aren't my thing.

I'd love to go for the meet n greet. But just too far to travel for a busted up old Marine. Too much competition for actual buying in the show too. I'm a realist and traveling to a place to buy something that all your friends will be trying to buy as well just is a stretch. Unless you're first in the door and can get first look at stuff. Guess you can tell big shows aren't my thing.
... Yes, it's about putting eye's on the tables ASAP, and tag teaming. One is at a disadvantage without a TT partner, early entry, or table/ assist. Prices reportedly are high, and the demand is high on the supply & demand curve...

Had a great first SOS. Meeting everyone was the highlight, the meeting was a blast. I didn't buy anything K98K related. Meeting Dick Cole (last surviving member of the Doolittle raid) and Don Jakeway (82nd Ab vet) was an incredible experience!

Nothing for German Snipers !!!!. Saw a total of 3 Original German Scopes , but thats it . Sold a few items to friends . The highlight of the show for me was seeing all my friends !!!!!!!!!!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

What were they? The two LSRs I saw had issues, cleaned stocks, mismatched parts, etc.. Saw nothing else that looked worth a serious look.

Military Rifle Journal
Back