Third Party Press

2018 sos report

pwcosol

Was able to make the show this year, so was there from Wednesday set-up thru Friday. Opted not go go back on Saturday in deference to getting a head-start on the 1,800 mile drive home which awaited me. As usual, there was a good crowd at the show (both vendors & attendees). There were lots of S84/98 T3 & other bayonets to be had, but as usual, nice examples priced within reason were elusive as always. In blades, I got a nice U.S. AFH M1 bayonet, a excellent bayonet/scabbard for the M1935 Brazilian contract rifle made by Mauser Oberndorf, and a 99% condition/matched "44 cqh" S84/98 T3. Regarding the latter, a good friend of many years, a guy walked up to him while at his table, and offer the bayonet for sale. My buddy has an extensive collection of Mauser made rifles and has begun to search out accessories like bayonets, RG34s, etc. to go with them. No sooner had he acquired the bayonet, a collector whom observed the transaction offered to buy it for a much more than he had just paid, but my friend was not interested. When I told him my example was the weakest condition '44 date I had, and I really needed it more than he did, he eventually gave in. However, I am trading him a minty bayo with a excellent orange-brown feldgendarrmarie frog for it, and I know he will like it more than the "44 cqh", since codes are not what he collects, but primarily nice stuff.

Also got a pair of RG34s at the show, too. One had mixed components but was in a excellent "G. APPEL" tin with the 9mm brush clip in the lid. The other was a "cmr42" tin, having both brushes, a "kcy" subcontract chain, and both a steel oiler and spoon marked "ftd". I was quite pleased to have finally gotten that spoon, because it was the only component in my kit which was not marked as such, so now the kit will be complete. Lastly, I have received a large number of primarily Kar98k barrel bands, trigger guards, bolts and components for same, etc. This has been my friend's stash for 30+ years and other than keeping under two dozen particularly nice spares, he has decided to off the rest. I would like to list this stuff on the Forum Trader first before going to either the GB.C Forum or Feebay, but will take me some time to sort, clean, identify, grade, and make up a list. There are far too many things to photograph, so if anyone is looking for something in particular, PM me. Also will be letting go my former "44cqh" in the near future, so if anyone is looking for one LMK...

Last edited:
I picked up a 44clc and 44ffc for my collection. And upgraded my 43/44asw. There was a 44pyy there but I missed it.

Pwcosol- send me a Pm on your cqh when you are ready, I’d like to see some pics and might be interested.

Sounds like you found some nice pieces! I saw the "44pyy"...it was in a small display case and looked pretty nice. Did you see that S84/98 T3 which had been re-manufactured into a field knife? The bayonet was original up to the blade, which had been professionally machined away into a thinner, clip-point with a thin fuller just below the spine (left side...never saw the right side to see if it was the same). Original blade length appeared to have been reduced by about 60%. The sheath was made of the last five inches or so of the scabbard. For a suspension there was a J-shaped metal hook about 1/4 inch wide, which swelled to double that where it met the top of the rebated scabbard, and was retained by 4 peened steel rivets. It was really neat, but the asking was $400.00, so never asked to physically look it over when I first saw it (forgetting to return at a later time, which is easy to do at the SOS...!).

Lastly, I thought it interesting that another S84/98 T3 collector was leaving his "calling card" on each table he visited. His trademark was to leave each bayonet about a inch or so from seating in the scabbard after examination so he could avoid wasting time by looking them over again when passing by later on. I had a bit of fun by closing a few of them back up, but also took advantage by avoiding them as well, as two can play the same game...!

Last edited:
That is a nice bayo!! I will watch for it, but it isn’t a crazy deal for me. I have the 9 harder codes to find still. Haha

I saw the "44pyy"...it was in a small display case and looked pretty nice.

The price on the pyy in the small display was 500. I did my best to negotiate a price I could live with, but he was not budging, even though he had almost nothing in it. If I did not already have one, I would have made the sacrifice, but I can live without it.

Which 9 codes are you missing, if I might ask?

I took a screenshot of a list of 44 codes made by Lance, it’s shows easiest to hardest. So I’ve been using that.
I still need pyy, cqh, fze, jwh, ddl, agv, cul, ab, and sgx.

J was going to grab one of them from a dealer at the show, but his reputation as a douchebag precedes him, so I didn’t. Lol.

I also saw the pyy, but too late as I’d grabbed 4 bayos, a helmet and byf45.....lol and still went back but it was gone.

The price on the pyy in the small display was 500. I did my best to negotiate a price I could live with, but he was not budging, even though he had almost nothing in it. If I did not already have one, I would have made the sacrifice, but I can live without it.

It wasn't that long ago that an excellent 44pyy would bring $1000 or more at the big shows or on ebay.

pyy price

It wasn't that long ago that an excellent 44pyy would bring $1000 or more at the big shows or on ebay.

While I was trying to negotiate a price, one of my BCN buddies walked up and announced it was the finest pyy he had ever seen. After that, I had no chance. I just gave up.

Yea, I have been in that same situation before on more than one occasion myself. IMHO the bayo looked quite nice (assume it was matching). If it was so, $500. would have been a very decent price considering both condition and relative scarcity/desirability.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back