Third Party Press

98 receiver manufacture information

doanl

I have a question on the manufacturing of the receiver on the 98. particularly the recess in the receiver for the safety 3rd lug does anybody know how it was machined out as it does not go completely 360 degrees around inside of the receiver like the ones for the front lugs. are there any drawings or pictures of that machining step.

also on a somewhat related note was there ever any book or booklet made for the 98 like the book " United States rifles and machine guns and their manufacture 1917 " by Fred Colvin and E. Viall I highly recommend any one interested to take a look at it. it is very interesting on how a bolt action rifle "1903"is made and i assume the 98 was made like it with a few exceptions. sadly the 1903 does not have the 3rd lug inside like the 98. thanks Dan

The k 98 came first. The US changed their patent, 2 lugs, so they would not have to pay the Germans.

Yes, well we tried anyway but that didn't work out too well. :facepalm: DWM also rung us up for a nice sum.

http://ww2.rediscov.com/spring/VFPC...g/DETAILS.IDC,SPECIFIC=14177,DATABASE=objects,
The springfield '03 does still have a safety lug however. It "locks" (more like rests) against the face of the rear bridge. Though locking is not integral to the reciever and is easier to accomplish in manufacturing. There were several aspects of the springfield that infringed on the 98, not just the lugs. If I recall the agreement to pay a royalty between the US arsenal and Mauser or DWM or whoever was fairly amicable. Ian from Forgotten Weapons has a good video on it somewhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

The springfield '03 does still have a safety lug however. It "locks" (more like rests) against the face of the rear bridge. Though locking is not integral to the reciever and is easier to accomplish in manufacturing. There were several aspects of the springfield that infringed on the 98, not just the lugs. If I recall the agreement to pay a royalty between the US arsenal and Mauser or DWM or whoever was fairly amicable. Ian from Forgotten Weapons has a good video on it somewhere.

I should read things. That article says it all.

I examined several actions. Tool marks are curved. Indicates to me a special tool setup with either a rotating or reciprocating cutter. Something like a boring bar that operates at right angles to the bore axis. Another possibility would be an internal grinding operation but that doesn't seem practical for rate production.

It makes one wonder what would have happened had the US not faced Spanish Mausers in Cuba. The Krag was a sweet rifle with a smooth action, much liked by soldiers transitioning from trap door Springfields. Imagine trying to fight WWI with it, though.

..Indicates to me a special tool setup with either a rotating or reciprocating cutter. Something like a boring bar that operates at right angles to the bore axis..

That's what I'm thinking. Just wonder if the tool is fixed and the receiver rotates back and forth or vice versa?

That's what I'm thinking. Just wonder if the tool is fixed and the receiver rotates back and forth or vice versa?

I have some machining experience and work next door to a machine shop. Generally the piece is always fixed and the tools move relative to the part. It helps with and maintains precision and repeat-ability. So the receiver was probably bolted in place.

I have some machining experience and work next door to a machine shop. Generally the piece is always fixed and the tools move relative to the part. It helps with and maintains precision and repeat-ability. So the receiver was probably bolted in place.

Agree that the piece is likely fixed. Also allows for easier adjustment for cutting tool wear or replacement.

Military Rifle Journal
Back