Third Party Press

Luger "special" grips

trinxet

A friend of me has this personalized P08 grips, as it's not my thema, I want to share to you to determine if they are orignal or not!. They have seen some use, and the material seem to be silver, and fits properly on an P08, no markings behind, but what looks good to me are the rests of painture of the swatica and the iron cross (without swastica?), but as I'm not used to this kind of items I need your opinions, also if possible its value, maybe he wants to sell it.....

Attachments

• image1(1).jpeg
    image1(1).jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 108
  • image1(2).jpeg
    image1(2).jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 76
  • image1(3).jpeg
    image1(3).jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 74
  • image1(4).jpeg
    image1(4).jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 65
  • image1(5).jpeg
    image1(5).jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 61
  • image2(1).jpeg
    image2(1).jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 45
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 59
  • image4(1).jpeg
    image4(1).jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 40
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 44
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 37
A friend of me has this personalized P08 grips, as it's not my thema, I want to share to you to determine if they are orignal or not!. They have seen some use, and the material seem to be silver, and fits properly on an P08, no markings behind, but what looks good to me are the rests of painture of the swatica and the iron cross (without swastica?), but as I'm not used to this kind of items I need your opinions, also if possible its value, maybe he wants to sell it.....

I believe those are fake. They are similar to others I've seen that had a giant eagle with swastika at the top and SS runes in the middle. They were made of pot metal. These look similar.... I'm no expert, but these seem a bit off.

I would only say this - with all of the skilled European gun craftsmen around, who would put such terrible quality grips on a pistol? The engraving appears to be done by a nail.

Biker / hot rod metal work "Rat Fink" customization from the 50s-60s-70s is my guess. Those young WW2 vets were in their 30s / 40s then. Those guys formed up the first biker gangs. It's interesting Americana folk art.

Mexican perhaps?

Biker / hot rod metal work "Rat Fink" customization from the 50s-60s-70s is my guess. Those young WW2 vets were in their 30s / 40s then. Those guys formed up the first biker gangs. It's interesting Americana folk art.

I wonder if some biker had them made down Mexico way. They have the hollow construction like Mexican silver grips.

My first thought was "Mexican" too - they kind of remind me of those cheap plaster skulls wearing German helmets with big eagles and swastikas on them that they used to sell in Tijuana back in the late 1960's - early 1970's era.

Because, let's face it, ever since before the ashes in the burned out ruins of Germany were even cool in 1945, and all around the world, "Swastikas sell!"

No German would ever put crap like that on his gun.....just like no German would chrome or nickel plate a Luger and put imitation ivory or pearl grips on it.

But an American would! We like our kitsch!

Looking at that "engraving" though, it also reminds me of a lot of "souvenir" WW2 silverwork I've seen from North Africa, that was made - often from old coins - to sell to U.S. servicemen.

Mexican silver is usually hallmarked as to purity, something I'm not seeing here.

Without any markings or history on it, no way to tell for sure where this set of grips came from.

If they're Mexican or something like that, the value would be pretty much the scrap weight of the silver. But if they are WW2 period North African souvenirs, they would have some nominal collector or historic value, like those plexiglass grips you sometimes see on WW2 pistols.

I have an almost identical pair- here in germany.....this pair was found in the relief of an gun collector some years ago. The engraving is a little bit "finer".
The eagle ist the "SA" symbol, but he is looking to the wrong side.
The iron cross is not dated.
Both symbols are not matching together.
From the craftmansship side they are good made and fit perfect.

32527553jk.jpg

32527453ri.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back