Third Party Press

Thread: LK5 Marked Berthier 1907-15 M34

Default LK5 Marked Berthier 1907-15 M34

Found this LK5 marked Berthier M34 at the recent SOS, rifle #F51290 is all matching with the LK5 by the stock serial number and the number 16 stamped below the pistol grip, another LK5 rifle for the collection.

Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice one Chuck! Did the seller know what it was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Really nice rifle Chuck, congratulations!
    Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

[QUOTE=mrfarb;228898]Nice one Chuck! Did the seller know what it was?

He had the LK5 on the price tag, I don't really know how much that would add to the price but I wanted it for the collection.

Chuck

Very cool rifle. Not an easy one to find, LK5 or not
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Pic stickied for ref. Cool rifle.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

For those of us who are not as knowledgeable. the LK5 stamp is a possible indicator of German military use? In some of the previous messages though it is inferred that the stamp is not definitive of German use. Is this correct?

KJ
    "Was wären Ihre Männer lieber, müde oder tot?" - Rommel

"Und als es das vierte Siegel auftat, hörte ich die Stimme der vierten Gestalt sagen: Komm! Und ich sah, und siehe, ein fahles Pferd. Und der darauf saß, dessen Name war: Der Tod, und die Hölle folgte ihm nach."

It's not as definitive as a typical depot stamp with eagle/HZa/letters/number, but when you look at other examples of LK marked weapons, the totality of non-original aspects are very persuasive. Most of these LK marked weapons have things like blued bolts, numbered components that weren't numbered by their home countries, and some even have modifications that are typically German. Personally, I'm convinced that it's WWII German, with a possible Luftwaffe affiliation.

This marking shows up on a number of different types of rifles, but the majority are French. That shouldn't come as a surprise as German sources noted that French arms outnumbered any other countries' in German use. Use of these same weapons, primarily in western countries like France itself, also means that they are disproportionately more common on the US secondary market.
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

I have a Czech VZ-23 with the LK5 stamp. These rifles were in storage when the Germans took over the country. The Czechs had up-grated to the VZ-24 and were looking to sell the VZ-23. It has a Polish bolt, renumbered to match rifle. Certainly seems to be German used.