Third Party Press

7.9mm Kurz in 308 mags

sprat

This question is for pete ( shortfal) yah I could call him but I decided to post it here

I know the length and dimensional differences between the 7.9mm kurz and 308/7.62

will a 7.9mm kurz round fit, feed and function in a 308/7.62 mags

thinking of your 7.9mm fal rifle build did you modify the mag????or follower?????

Jack

Oh yeah!

I do not have the FAL here to look at and it's been a while since the project but thinking I sectioned .800 out of FAL mags for my conversion. Whatever the OAL difference is between 8Kurz and .308 ball. I never even considered using the FAL mags without modding. I do not think there is any way the shorter rds. would have made it to the chamber entry.
Made followers out of some Delrin and used 20 rd. AR mag springs.
All done it fed better at pretty much 100% than I ever thought it would without more work.
Pete

I do not have the FAL here to look at and it's been a while since the project but thinking I sectioned .800 out of FAL mags for my conversion. Whatever the OAL difference is between 8Kurz and .308 ball. I never even considered using the FAL mags without modding. I do not think there is any way the shorter rds. would have made it to the chamber entry.
Made followers out of some Delrin and used 20 rd. AR mag springs.
All done it fed better at pretty much 100% than I ever thought it would without more work.
Pete

Thanks pete

Built a M-76 using PSL trunnion/ 80% receiver, bolt & bolt carrier and Yugo M72 parts w/ green mountain barrel in 8mm with yugo M-76 8mm magazine

I picked up a few 7.9mm kurz chamber inserts for 8mm barrels. since i may have to alter the 8mm Yugo mag I was curious what you did

Attachments

• M-76 Hybrid 8.jpg
    M-76 Hybrid 8.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 19
M76 in 8 Kurz

Interesting conversion Jack. I'm not familiar with the mags for those guns. Thinking if the lips that holds the rds. in extend far enough forward the shorter rds. might feed OK by not having the ctg. rear pop up clear of the lips before aligning with the chamber entry.
Otherwise modding the mag might well be needed. Many hours were spent designing and machining the custom FAL ejector block I made that's as much longer as the mags are shorter but installing it was easy due to it being a separate part from the rec. Not so on that AK type.
Wondering about ejection. Will your extractor hold a fired rd. such that the ejector will kick it out reliably? I did not think mine would with fired cases going back as far as the original .308 cases would have so my ejector extends forward to where it's right at the back of the mag. It pivots so that the bolt pushes it down out of the way when the bolt comes forward with a spring pushing it up to be where it needs to be as the bolt runs rearward to eject the case.
I'll look forward to hearing how yours works out.
Pete

MACE in Alaska

I figured I could keep the rifle in 8mm mauser, then if I converted a dedicated mag I could shoot 7.9mm kurz. with the chamber adapters.

they make a 308 mag for the M-77 or I could use a converted M-14 mag in 308 will fit

I asked the question figuring the mag would need to blocked up using a shortened mp-44 mag spring or ar -15 spring

Military Rifle Journal
Back