Third Party Press

Urgent Help - Identifying Mauser 98

LtAK

Hello everyone, I'm fresh to the forum and have spent the past 3-5 hours frantically trying to school myself on Mauser 98 rifles.

Long story short, I work in a Pawn Shop in Butte, Montana and we have 2 Mausers in stock. For $225 there's a Mauser in here chambered for 8mm and it has a Nazi Eagle on it. I thought it was just an *okay* rifle until a collector I trust came in and looked at it, he got very excited and said it was a 1944 98K, and just overall made it sound like it was a fantastic find.

Basically, I'm trying to decide if I should buy this rifle or not tomorrow before he gets back with money to purchase it himself. Absolutely ANY info anyone can provide me, would be outstanding and appreciated.

Attachments

• 0228181855g.jpg
    0228181855g.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 90
  • 0228181855d.jpg
    0228181855d.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 0228181853.jpg
    0228181853.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I have pictures of absolutely every marking and symbol on the gun, but I can't upload them all due to the forums storage limits. I don't know if I could PM them to people, but advice on that small matter would be appreciated too.

The first two pictures are of a cut down German K98k. The third picture shows part of the receiver of a Spanish Mauser as Dave stated. I agree with what was written in your other post. It has been pretty heavily modified. It is okay for that price if you want it as a shooter. I think the price is fairly appropriate for what it is.

The first two pictures are of a cut down German K98k. The third picture shows part of the receiver of a Spanish Mauser as Dave stated. I agree with what was written in your other post. It has been pretty heavily modified. It is okay for that price if you want it as a shooter. I think the price is fairly appropriate for what it is.

I'm sorry, could you explain that second paragraph again, but without the acronyms? I'm still fresh to this.

Last edited:
In your first post you included three pictures. The first two show a Karabiner 98k (German Mauser Model 98 from WW2). Someone cut, sanded, and refinished a military stock. The third photo shows some kind of Spanish Mauser. It looks like the German Mauser was made from the parts of multiple different rifles. I think it is worth $225 and that if you bought it for that, you could get that amount back. I think it is an okay purchase for that amount but I would not buy it with the plan of trying to buy it then make a profit when reselling it. On the other hand if it has a nice bore, headspaces okay, and passes safety checks then it should be a decent shooter.

I just realized the technical speak was your signature after the past you wrote itself.

The pictures i posted are all of the same German rifle, however there is a Spanish Mauser at the store too, but I was more interested in the German one.

Back to the rifle itself though, I'm leaning towards buying the rifle, getting it checked out by a gunsmith, and taking my time restoring it.

My big question now though, is what serial numbers, on what parts of the rifle, do I look at to see if anything matches? And what is important to have matching?

The photo I have attached to this response is not the same rifle you are asking about. It is a small ring Mauser and likely Spanish. At $225 the German Model 98 (K98k) is not a screaming good deal. It is an okay deal. But mostly if you are buying it to shoot. You might be able to pull the bolt out and sell it for $200-250 by itself. There are a few remaining parts that you could pull off of it and sell as well. I would guess that you could part it out and the bits would sell for $300-400. However, the amount of effort it would take to photograph the parts, post the parts on eBay or GunBroker with descriptions, answer questions, then ship the individual parts after receiving funds would offset that modest opportunity for profit (for me). On the other hand, if you want it as a shooter, assuming it has a decent bore, good headspace, passes a gunsmith's safety check, etc., would make the rifle an okay purchase for that amount. What you want it for should dictate whether you buy it or not. Profit potential--not much. Usefulness and enjoyment--sure, why not.

Attachments

• 0228181853.jpg
    0228181853.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 13

Military Rifle Journal
Back