Third Party Press

Mein Kampf and second book belonging to SS soldier HELP with Identification PLEASE

Brian5016

I acquired these two books, a 1938 edition of Mein Kampf and a second book Der Dienstunterricht im Heere' Both books are stamped (I assume by the owner) ' Stepke Dietrichg. 57/22 1030 Wien 3., ' (name & address, I assume) The copy of Der Dienstunterricht also has handwriting inside it, and a possible unit of 8 SS....my questions are:

1) Anyone know who Stepke Dietrchg was?

2) What does the hand written note say / mean and does anyone know whose signature that is (if it has a signature?)

Any assistance is greatly appreciated...

I goofed up the photo order.. PIC 2 is from Mein Kampf, the other three are all from dienstunterricht....

Attachments

• 20180306_052431_resized.jpg
    20180306_052431_resized.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 53
  • 20180306_052527_resized.jpg
    20180306_052527_resized.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20180306_052446_resized.jpg
    20180306_052446_resized.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20180306_052509_resized.jpg
    20180306_052509_resized.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
The inscription says 8 Kompanie/ SS "Der Führer" and the name is Adolf Stepke, the owner. (I can't read the second line) The SS Standarte "Der Fuhrer" was raised in Vienna so makes sense that his home was Wien. There is a lot of information about the SS VT, you can start researching from there.

http://www.axishistory.com/books/12...waffen-ss-ss-vt/1462-ss-standarte-der-fuehrer

The Dienstunterricht dates from 1941, so he was part of the 2nd SS Division by then:

http://www.axishistory.com/axis-nat...divisions/1250-2-ss-panzer-division-das-reich

He would be in the 8. Kompanie, II Battallion, SS Infantry Regt. "Der Führer"

Interesting that UScha Stepke had an issue of "Der Dienstuntericht im Heere" for mounted artillery.
Not sure about Waffen-SS Regiments, but in Army Regiments the 8th company was a MG unit.

Interesting that UScha Stepke had an issue of "Der Dienstuntericht im Heere" for mounted artillery.
Not sure about Waffen-SS Regiments, but in Army Regiments the 8th company was a MG unit.

Off topic a bit, but is that true to Imperial German (WW1) Army Regiments also?

I have a named and camo’ed Legit WW1 M16 Stahlhelm which has the Soldiers name followed by 8th Kompanie. (Sadly no other divisional or unit info)

That was my thought as well Amberg, it’s the last Kompanie in the Battalion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my thought as well Amberg, it’s the last Kompanie in the Battalion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll have to look up the OOB later, but maybe the 8th Kompanie had the organic 7,5cm le.IG 18's?

Infantry Regiments typically had their own organic le.IG 18's....

The Regimental Artillery was usually the separate battery of 15cm s.IG 33's...

SS-VT units were well trained and as part of his NCO training he would have had multiple weapons training, weapons being such things as anti tank guns and all kinds of (light) artillery.

Off topic a bit, but is that true to Imperial German (WW1) Army Regiments also?

I have a named and camo’ed Legit WW1 M16 Stahlhelm which has the Soldiers name followed by 8th Kompanie. (Sadly no other divisional or unit info)

Have you ever tried to find the soldier in the casualties lists?
http://des.genealogy.net/eingabe-verlustlisten/search
If his name is not that common it might be worth a try. In case he was a Bavarian soldier, there is a good chance to find out more about him, since the Bavarian military archives survived WWII.

SS-VT units were well trained and as part of his NCO training he would have had multiple weapons training, weapons being such things as anti tank guns and all kinds of (light) artillery.

No, I don't think so.
Mounted artillery has nothing to do with light (infantry) artillery.
In infantry regiments you can find the companies 1 -12 with the 4th, 8th and 12th company being a MG-company.
13th company (Infanteriegeschütz Kompanie): usually: 6 light infantry guns 75mm and 2 heavy infantry guns 105mm (IIRR)
14th company (Panzerjäger Kompanie): anti tank guns

BTW: there was a special book for the infantry guns (13th company):
Ausgabe für den Schützen der Infanteriegeschütz-Kompanie

Last edited:
Have you ever tried to find the soldier in the casualties lists?
http://des.genealogy.net/eingabe-verlustlisten/search
If his name is not that common it might be worth a try. In case he was a Bavarian soldier, there is a good chance to find out more about him, since the Bavarian military archives survived WWII.

Sadly, the name is just “P. Boettger”.... So unless I start guessing, it’s like finding a needle in a haystack.

Just his first name initial and Last name and the Company he was in...

Thank You Mr Farb !

The inscription says 8 Kompanie/ SS "Der Führer" and the name is Adolf Stepke, the owner. (I can't read the second line) The SS Standarte "Der Fuhrer" was raised in Vienna so makes sense that his home was Wien. There is a lot of information about the SS VT, you can start researching from there.

http://www.axishistory.com/books/12...waffen-ss-ss-vt/1462-ss-standarte-der-fuehrer

The Dienstunterricht dates from 1941, so he was part of the 2nd SS Division by then:

http://www.axishistory.com/axis-nat...divisions/1250-2-ss-panzer-division-das-reich

He would be in the 8. Kompanie, II Battallion, SS Infantry Regt. "Der Führer"

Thank You Mr Farb -- Amazing information. I have already learned that the address in Vienna is a large apartment complex of sorts near the Danube. Now the real study begins.

From a long time collector

Brian,

May I ask how you came by these? Just curious really.:thumbsup:

KJ

I bought both books for $50 from a long time collector who I believe just wanted them to go where they would be appreciated. I picked up a pristine Beretta M1934 blank slide rig yesterday with capture papers....I'm like a kid a Christmas this morning! My wife is not so happy though LOL

Military Rifle Journal
Back