Third Party Press

Might buy this K98k, What do you guys trhink?

It looks like it may originally have indeed been a bring back rifle. Over the years someone more than likely sported the rifle in essence ruining the stock and losing the original bands. At some point someone tried their best to bring it back to military configuration. Not a horrible rifle for a shooter or to get one's feet wet with the k98k. I've sold a few in that stage of originality. I'd say $600-$700 if all wrong lies with stock, bands and bluing loss.. One remaining issue is more photos would be required before a complete evaluation can be made. It could be drilled/tapped/repaired, he didn't take photos of much of the receiver.

Last edited:
Well given the bottom metal including the screws are correct and matching, I'd have to presume this was in fact an all matching bringback that was sporterized sometime in the 40's or 50's to make it 'more handy' as a hunting rifle. They cut the stock down, losing the front bands and bayonet lug in the process. Might have even altered the profile of the stock and added a recoil pad in place of the metal butt plate. This treatment was unfortunately quite common. Later someone decided to return it to military configuration and used a Norwegian capture stock with other various stock metal fittings.

Given it's amount of 'matching' still it's not that bad really. A proper '39 era MO stock with all matching stock metal would get this much closer to right.

Like I said previously.
If it has a good bore, I'd go 500-600. Maybe, but I like haggling. If he's got more in it, that's his problem. It is what it is. You could possibly sell the stock and get one more 'correct' for a '38 Oberndorf.

Well given the bottom metal including the screws are correct and matching, I'd have to presume this was in fact an all matching bringback that was sporterized sometime in the 40's or 50's to make it 'more handy' as a hunting rifle. They cut the stock down, losing the front bands and bayonet lug in the process. Might have even altered the profile of the stock and added a recoil pad in place of the metal butt plate. This treatment was unfortunately quite common. Later someone decided to return it to military configuration and used a Norwegian capture stock with other various stock metal fittings.

Given it's amount of 'matching' still it's not that bad really. A proper '39 era MO stock with all matching stock metal would get this much closer to right.

He seemed to take the information with a certain tone of disappointment. I offered him 600 and he said he was just going to hang on to it. I encouraged him to do his own research to supplement the information I gave him. It’s a shame, I really would have liked to have that rifle. I guess the search continues. Definitely learned a lot from everyone here and I can’t thank you guys enough for the help

Like I said previously.
If it has a good bore, I'd go 500-600. Maybe, but I like haggling. If he's got more in it, that's his problem. It is what it is. You could possibly sell the stock and get one more 'correct' for a '38 Oberndorf.

I offered Him 650 and he said he wants to hang on to it. He apparently paid 850 for it from a friend who claimed it was an all matching war being back. I think he was disappointed with the information I gave him. He seems like an honest guy that got ripped off on a rifle he didn’t know anything about.

He apparently paid 850 for it from a friend who claimed it was an all matching war being back.

So he got it for $850 from a 'friend' who lied to him and then wanted to sell it to you for $1500? That's kind of crazy in it's own right.

So he got it for $850 from a 'friend' who lied to him and then wanted to sell it to you for $1500? That's kind of crazy in it's own right.

It was listed on a gun auction website and I contacted him about it. I knew from the start that it was not a 1500 dollar rifle and that it was most likely a sporterized rifle, but I wanted to make sure and as I suspected, the information I obtained from all of you confirmed my suspicions. He was not happy with the information I gave him and decided to hang on to it. I assume he’ll try to sell it for 8 or 900 dollars to someone who doesn’t know any better.

1. People are stupid.

2. People with "fool's gold" get upset when you point out facts to them.

3. No matter how much you polish it, a turd, is still a turd.

4. Walk away.

5. Keep looking, and you will find a nice correct piece.

1. People are stupid.

2. People with "fool's gold" get upset when you point out facts to them.

3. No matter how much you polish it, a turd, is still a turd.

4. Walk away.

5. Keep looking, and you will find a nice correct piece.

Someone mentioned earlier about a trader in these forums that has honest, knowledgeable pricing? Any idea who that might be. I’d really like to get one of these rifles into my collection.

Yes it's a sub forum here not a person. When a good rifle is listed that's well priced the sale lasts minutes... literally. Usually followed quickly by 'seconds' or 'damn'. :laugh:

One of my favorite gun show statements. "Thats where two fools met one too offer and one too refuse."

Anyway your friend probably thought he got the real deal, and has been seeing real bringback pieces selling for $1500 and up and didn't know any better. But he's lucky, very lucky. At $850, so he paid maybe $200 too high. Where some have given sweating Big Ben $1800-$2000 on junk.

But you were more then fair too try and help him found out information on his rifle as well. Nobody wants too be told they were taken on a deal. Of course he's not going too get that big payout that he wanted either. Which is most likely what he was really hoping for.

One of my favorite gun show statements. "Thats where two fools met one too offer and one too refuse."

Anyway your friend probably thought he got the real deal, and has been seeing real bringback pieces selling for $1500 and up and didn't know any better. But he's lucky, very lucky. At $850, so he paid maybe $200 too high. Where some have given sweating Big Ben $1800-$2000 on junk.

But you were more then fair too try and help him found out information on his rifle as well. Nobody wants too be told they were taken on a deal. Of course he's not going too get that big payout that he wanted either. Which is most likely what he was really hoping for.

This is most likely the case. And yes, I do feel like I was fair with my final offer. I even suggested that he keep it because it’s unlikely he’ll get the big payout he was looking for. The research portion was just fun for me; I really enjoy learning whatever I can about these rifles and he basically got a small scale course on his rifle, although the information he got wasn’t what he wanted to hear. 😂 I suspect I’ll either hear from him in a week or so when he comes to terms with the actual value of the rifle, or he’ll continue trying to offload it onto someone who knows nothing about the rifle and will ignorantly pay that high price. Hope he retains some honesty and drops the price and doesn’t try to use the information I gave to him as a means to rip someone off.

Military Rifle Journal
Back