Third Party Press

my duv 42

rtr091112

I just purchased this rifle and it it very dirty. What is the safest was to clean without harming it ? It is not a russian capture or duffle cut that I can tell. Its not all matching but Im happy to have it. I will post more pictures when I get it cleaned up. Does the letter under the serial # look like an f ?, also should the front barrel band be the H type ? Thank you for your comments.
IMG_1496.jpgIMG_1500.jpgIMG_1497.jpgIMG_1498.jpgIMG_1499.jpg

A good oil wipe for the metal, I wouldn’t do much of anything on the stock. I like it, I’ll take dirty and dusty closet rifles any day over shined up pieces. Front band is correct, 42 is the transition year to speed milled. Bolt m/m’s don’t bother me one bit and if that 98a bolt is matching you can easily swap that for a matching 98k bolt.

I was thinking about wiping metal parts with mineral spirits before oiling and maybe a wipe down with BLO on the stock

Yes, it's a "f" block. A H milled front band wouldn't be correct, the transition to close milled band was already end of "d", beginning of "e" block. Has your rear sight leaf gradations on the reverse side?

I would wipe the metal parts as example with Ballistol and the stock I would let alone.

I was thinking about wiping metal parts with mineral spirits before oiling and maybe a wipe down with BLO on the stock

That'll do fine on the metal. De-grease, and soak and rub with some CLP to loosen up any though grime or dirt. It'll clean up with a little elbow grease but wont harm the finish as long as you don't use anything other than a cloth (Old t shirts are great for this kind of thing). Some kind of mild de-greaser like simple green in a wet cloth will clean that stock up a bit. I wouldn't use anything more harsh than that. A light wipe of BLO after the fact wouldn't hurt anything IMO but there are those here that would vehemently disagree.

I second ballistol, I stay away from any solvent combination oils especially if you clean in your house, dangerous stuff. Early stocks are stained and should be dark, I don’t think the wood is as “dirty” as you think, too often I see people assuming a laminate K98k stock should look blonde, depends on the maker/date, and issued/ non issued. Then there’s the issue of “factory” finish vs field applied whatever it may happen to be and therefore “original” to its bring back condition. You see a lot of k98’s with wax applied between the metal and wood line for instance, often this can be useful as an indicator to determine whether or not a rifle has been apart before. I have a prewar rifle for instance that appears to have had sap or something applied inside of old deep battle scars to presumably seal them out. There are some rather uncommon k98’s where the value/ condition should preclude any disassembly imho. The chance for maring the fore end or buggering up tight screws for instance are issues, this is often far more of a concern on prewar rifles as the tolerances are tighter on barrel band fit and stock inletting etc. Much of my opinion is rhetorical though and not of much concern on your rifle, except that I don’t think there is much grunge on your stock, they aren’t like “surplus” weapons that sat in a humid armory for decades soaking up cosmoline into their porus stocks. Properly stored the stock shouldn’t be negatively affected for many years to come, it survived in that condition this long stored who knows how, nothing you apply to it will “revive” it any, just my opinions though. Nice rifle, I always liked BLM wouldn’t mind seeing more of it.

Yes, it's a "f" block. A H milled front band wouldn't be correct, the transition to close milled band was already end of "d", beginning of "e" block. Has your rear sight leaf gradations on the reverse side?

I would wipe the metal parts as example with Ballistol and the stock I would let alone.

Certainly agree with all this. Their suffix can be tricky. While the band is non-matching the type is correct. Only other point is possibly wiping the wood with a VERY mild soap on a barely damp clean white cloth just to see what it does? Very light wiping action with very little soap that you might use on a babies face. Without having it in hand it's tough to determine what is dirt or filth acquired post war.

The ivory is very mild. So if you took a washcloth and wet it with warm/hot water, rubbed it on the bar a bit and then really rung it out until it was barely damp. A lot of water = bad. Too much soap can also be bad, as can overly aggressive scrubbing. I've been quite satisfied with this method on wood I deemed to 'dirty'. If you're gentle I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

Of course you could do nothing as others have suggested but you kind of know whether it's really dirty or not. I probably would not do a thing to a mint, clean original stock. I finally have one on a bnz t block and probably will never do more than wiping with a clean, dry white cotton t-shirt. I have used Howard's Feed and Wax when I deemed it appropriate and been quite satisfied. Others have too. Using very little is key. It will look a bit shiny and wet when applied but within a week that disappears. Like a small dollop for the whole stock.

I took some more pictures and noted serial #'s. The stock and the top hand guard do not match. The stock does not have any markings under the butt plate, the butt plate and the floor plate have the same #'s. The bolt has 4 different #'s. the barrel is covered in cosmolene under the wood. It also seems to have an import stamp on it. The barrel bands are different #'s and the bayonet lug has a 1 which I believe is Gustaloff ?? Also there was some number wrote in pencil inside the stock.

IMG_8671.jpgIMG_8673.jpgIMG_8674.jpgIMG_8675.jpgIMG_8677.jpgIMG_8672.jpg

Nice early Astrawerke floor plate and bayonet lug and Bremer trigger guard! That’s actually a lower case L “l” often mistaken for the number one. On the floor plate, there IS a WaA1 marking but that’s an acceptance stamp. The “l” is Astrawerke production ID code. Looks like a nice rifle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wondering about the symbol between bys and e/214 on the barrel? Photo #2, post #13. Could you snap a better picture of it?

It caught my eye because I believe it's the same symbol that is on the bcd41 finished in late 42 by BLM that Bjarne has/had. That was also bys-symbol-e/214. A twin to that rifle showed up on GBoards in late 2016 but of course all the Photosuckit pics are gone. :moon:

So who do you think packed it in cosmolene ?

Hmm. Not RC or Yugo. No peen of the dirty birds.. Filthy and cosmo I'd guess Albania or Romania but they didn't mix them up this much. Or so I thought? The carry wear seems consistent with that area. I can't make out the lettering on the barrel? Maybe that will help?

Military Rifle Journal
Back