Third Party Press

Geco 33 rifle

mallard

Can anyone help me and tell if this is original configuration or has the stock been duffel cut? I am inclined to think that it has been cut but it matches so well. If cut it must have been long ago. I just have not seen many 33's so not much reference to go on.
Thanks all!

Attachments

• geco3.jpg
    geco3.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 86
  • geco4.jpg
    geco4.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 66
  • geco1.jpg
    geco1.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 62
  • geco2.jpg
    geco2.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 50
  • geco5.jpg
    geco5.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 45
I quite humorously had Simpson's book open on my lap as I opened the forum and this page.

I was going to say I do not know what they look like originally but based on barrel contour it would have been a k98k style training rifle.

Since I was holding THEE textbook, I took a quick peak.

Page 522-523 show what it originally would have looked like. A k98k style training rifle.

Definitely cut, though I would say more likely "sporterized" than duffel cut.

Thanks for the reply, that's what I needed to know. I was thinking about picking this up at the local shop but guess I will pass.

Depending on the price, and if you have the money to spend, I would consider picking it up.

I am not quite the "purist" that some are here, totally uninterested unless it meets a very high expectation. That is mostly dictated by my pocket book.

I have never seen a Geco 33 rifle in any form, in my life, and so I would be inclined to pick it up. Should you see another in the future, you can always sell this one.

Check out the thread I made on the Walther Meisterbuchse I purchased. Absolutely horrible. Only one I have ever seen in the flesh. Should I ever find another, and it is in better condition, I will upgrade.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread...isterb%FCchse-(serious-collectors-DO-NOT-LOOK!!!)

I had fun picking that one up just to for a representative example. Shoots well, let me examine an action/mechanism I had yet to get my hands into. Best part is, I don't worry about taking it out to shoot like I would any of my really nice "collectible" guns.

Depending on the price, and if you have the money to spend, I would consider picking it up.

I am not quite the "purist" that some are here, totally uninterested unless it meets a very high expectation. That is mostly dictated by my pocket book.

I have never seen a Geco 33 rifle in any form, in my life, and so I would be inclined to pick it up. Should you see another in the future, you can always sell this one.

Check out the thread I made on the Walther Meisterbuchse I purchased. Absolutely horrible. Only one I have ever seen in the flesh. Should I ever find another, and it is in better condition, I will upgrade.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread...isterb%FCchse-(serious-collectors-DO-NOT-LOOK!!!)

I had fun picking that one up just to for a representative example. Shoots well, let me examine an action/mechanism I had yet to get my hands into. Best part is, I don't worry about taking it out to shoot like I would any of my really nice "collectible" guns.

In your opinion what would be a fair price to pay for this based on the stock being what it is?

It is really up to you. Maybe someone else here can chime in, hopefully commenting on what one has sold for?

I can only tell you my opinion, having never seen another, it is a pretty limited opinion!

There are several ways to look at the subject, but when I look at older rifles, that were once "collectibles" but are now no longer, they are just rifles. I typically look at quality and workmanship the utility and practicality. A quality made 22 in good condition with a good bore to me is worth $150. Always. If the bore is nice, and nothing else looks messed with, you might consider going higher. Sometimes examples like this become the sacrificial lamb to fix up another example.

Thanks for the reply, it seems if not much is really know about these. For $150 I would have already bought it but it is more like $700.

The local gun shop I visit has been around a long time. I have been visiting it for nearly 20 years. There are a few rifles in the same place as when I visited that first time.

I was teasing the owner one day about a rifle I was interested in, but was priced way too high. I asked him if he wanted to sell it to me now, or if I should buy it at his estate auction. We had a good laugh and then he said serious as a heart attack, "You can buy it at the auction".

I am second guessing myself as whether to buy this or not since I may never see another, do you know how many were made and chances of seeing one for sale? I have looked through all of the gun auction website past sales and still can find no reference. I need guidance

I am woefully ignorant on the subject, but for $700 I wouldn't even consider it. It would have to be in the $300 range for me to even start considering it. Your financial position may vary that opinion.

You can buy Mauser DSM's in the $500 range, the Geco model is certainly rare by comparison, but I frequently remind people that rare does not imply valuable.

Geco mod33

Can anyone help me and tell if this is original configuration or has the stock been duffel cut? I am inclined to think that it has been cut but it matches so well. If cut it must have been long ago. I just have not seen many 33's so not much reference to go on.
Thanks all!
84kf352h.jpg

mXFdpiJh.jpg

You find all details in my book
www.kkw-dsm34-22lr.com

Military Rifle Journal
Back