Third Party Press

cof 42 bajonet with "asterix"

Bizar

Has anyone seen this on a blade?
I was told that this "asterix" is stamped into pieces who were rejected after the first inspection. Am i correct?
bajonet asterix.jpg

Maybe, but there is too much of these star / asterisk stamps on 42cof production, so probably there was other reason to stamp this, same is on different place as normally should be marked not accepted piece, what is the serial number and letter? thanks.b.r.Andy
http://k98.free.fr/42cof-6463b.html

Unknown but the marking is seen on a few very late cof41 and the first few letter blocks of the cof42 series. It has been suggested that it is a rejection mark but I am not convinced of this.

Can you provide the serial number and letter block?

Maybe, but there is too much of these star / asterisk stamps on 42cof production, so probably there was other reason to stamp this, same is on different place as normally should be marked not accepted piece, what is the serial number and letter? thanks.b.r.Andy
http://k98.free.fr/42cof-6463b.html

Not meaning to change the subject but for all of you that can not access the k98.free.fr web site ( As I had not been able to in some time ) , click on Andy`s link. Then once you are on that link, shorten it to just k98.free.fr in the address bar and re-enter. It worked for me. I was able to enter the site on home page and saved it to my bookmarks. Thanks Andy for the link and in this case a fix.

Not meaning to change the subject but for all of you that can not access the k98.free.fr web site ( As I had not been able to in some time ) , click on Andy`s link. Then once you are on that link, shorten it to just k98.free.fr in the address bar and re-enter. It worked for me. I was able to enter the site on home page and saved it to my bookmarks. Thanks Andy for the link and in this case a fix.

Boom!! Worked for me as well. Thanks Grimlin13!! ==> iiii]; )'

Unknown but the marking is seen on a few very late cof41 and the first few letter blocks of the cof42 series. It has been suggested that it is a rejection mark but I am not convinced of this.

Can you provide the serial number and letter block?

Here it is. Not the best picture, i know...
DSC_0041.jpg

It would be the best way write it here serial and letter under it, as the picture is small and unsharp, but i assume 2 digits 51 and d range? br.Andy

Asterisk

I own a similarly marked 42 cof, (7775a), and 41cof (252t), and have seen pictures of other examples (mostly 42cof). And there are examples that are not marked mixed into those ranges.

Last edited:
First time i see mentioned a 41cof with star proofs, the t range was probably done already early 1942, normally there is the asterisk marking mostly on 42cof early production. It would be nice to see in what for other ranges are the 41cofs with asterisk stamp.Thanks. b.r.Andy

Last edited:
First time i see mentioned a 41cof with star proofs, the t range was probably done already early 1942, normally there is the asterisk marking mostly on 42cof early production. It would be nice to see in what for other ranges are the 41cofs with asterisk stamp.Thanks. b.r.Andy

Andrej, the only examples that I have recorded for 41cof are all in the late t block. There are very few 41 dated pieces observed. As you already stated, the majority of the pieces with the asterisks are in the early 42cof letter blocks.

As the piece from Mike is WaA519 endproofed, is most real the end realisation was already in january of 1942. Slash, please could You provide about the highest reported t range? thanks.b.r.Andy

As the piece from Mike is WaA519 endproofed, is most real the end realisation was already in january of 1942. Slash, please could You provide about the highest reported t range? thanks.b.r.Andy

Agreed Andrej. Very likely that the late 41cof pieces carried over into early 1942 production. The WaA519 acceptance as well as factory overstamps (41cof overstamped to 42cof) would support this theory.

The latest example that I have recorded with asterisks for 41cof is 508t. During 42cof production the latest example documented is 8555e. Have documented asterisks stamped pieces in the following blocks: a, b, c, d, & e. The vast majority of examples in these letter blocks are typical production; NOT asterisks stamped. Strongly suspect that there are bayonets in the no letter block with asterisks but have not observed any. There may also be examples in the f block or later but have quite a number of pieces recorded in blocks f, g, & h without any asterisks stamps observed as yet.

Last edited:
Thanks L. for excellent reports, same opinion about ranges, a-e ranges, no reports in no letter range same as not above e range.b.r.Andy
PS should be measured the main dimmension and compare with a normal one 42cof, that the piece with asterisk stamps are on rejected production or not?

Measurements

PS should be measured the main dimmension and compare with a normal one 42cof, that the piece with asterisk stamps are on rejected production or not?

I will measure mine, but it will take a day or three to find my two examples, and, mine are pretty worn, so they may not yield much information.

Amazing how a small stamp (asterix) can result in such an interesting discussion.
Thanks for al the replies and thinking sofar.

Military Rifle Journal
Back