Third Party Press

33/40

I think the stock looks good. The handguard would concern me a little being a lighter color, but the handguard does have a correct WaA63 on it, so it might be just a lighter piece of wood that was used?

Is this what nice, complete 33/40s are going for these days? Looks like I may be behind the times a bit...

Johnny K, I do not have any G33/40's anymore. I sold my last action, barrel, and parts a couple years ago.

sturmgrenadier where do you live?

I had a long post typed up of 33/40's ive tracked online and at auctions. And then I realized like a lot of things, I am in a different economic time zone. Obviously, I am the one behind times.

I would suspect, if the owner of that rifle were to relist it on gunbroker, they would not get the $3000 paid back out of it.

Johnny K, I do not have any G33/40's anymore. I sold my last action, barrel, and parts a couple years ago.

sturmgrenadier where do you live?

I had a long post typed up of 33/40's ive tracked online and at auctions. And then I realized like a lot of things, I am in a different economic time zone. Obviously, I am the one behind times.

I would suspect, if the owner of that rifle were to relist it on gunbroker, they would not get the $3000 paid back out of it.

I'm in New York, the rifle came out of the Midwest. I don't think it's regional anymore. eBay and gunbroker are priced globally for the most part. Living in gun hating New York, there are few opportunities for honest rifles to turn up at the local gun shop. I've only been collecting for 18 years, but I can remember RC k98s listed at 200$ all day, now they're 700-800? I don't see this segment of militaria collecting softening anytime soon. Fall grunt, you may be right about that auction hitting 3000 again. If grey blanket sold my g33/40, I'd get over 3500!

Last edited:
This is my own opinion, and one I usually keep to myself. Firearms are very regional and continue to be. Gunbroker and many internet forums such as this have created an energized demand. Every single member on this board is a tiny blip in the general realm of firearms. I can fairly accurately say that less than 1/3 of firearms are traded or sold on the internet. Around me I know more people with gun collections who have never logged onto a computer, purchased through gunbroker, or even know what a forum is. I met a gentleman about an hour north of me with a several million dollar firearm collection who had never heard of gunboards or k98kforum. He doesn't get on the internet. The majority of auctions I attend (I average 1-2 a month) are not on the internet.

Here are a few examples:

The last k98 I bought was about 2-3 years ago. Bolt mismatch, vg bore, 39 Sauer if I remember correctly. Paid $110. Sold it to a friend for $125.

A local fellow I know who collects K98's recently asked my opinion last summer as to which to buy. The guy offered him a Russian capture for $300 or a mismatch for $500. The mismatch was a bolt mismatch, other wise all matching, can't remember the maker code, it was a common one, excellent bore. All around just a nice rifle. Came with an "original" sling.

Missed out in november I think it was on a auction with a depot build K98. Went for $200.

Tonight I let an all matching DSM 34 go for $450. It was 70-80% condition with an excellent bore. In december at my goading a friend bought a Walther DSM in 90% condition for $580.

I bought an mis match Gew 98 a few years ago that everything is matching except the bolt shroud, firing pin, cocking piece and safety. They match themselves. $154 Bought another that was complete mismatch for $121. A Polish Kar98 for $198.

I could go on and on... but my point is, it is a very regional thing. Most of the world doesn't know anything about k98k's. I had a friend call me less than 6 months ago, a guy was in his shop with two K98k's his grandpa had brought back from WWII. He wanted them broken down to actions, new barrels and stocks put on them, and scoped. I tried to explain to the guy that the rifles were valuable and I would purchase him nice actions PLUS buy him barrels and stocks in trade. He apparently stormed out pissed and went to find someone else to do the work. My friend had no problem with that.

The 33/40's I have recorded in my file range up to $1800. The $1800 one sold on gunbroker and was almost as nice as the one that sold for $3k. Better bore, but over all not as nice. It sold just less than a year ago. I continue to track sales on Gunbroker because there are huge swings in pricing. I doubt I will ever understand them, but I have picked up on a few things.

and yes.... the grey blanket does typically net 20-30% higher prices

I guess before I laid out three grand, I'd want to make sure that that hand guard did in fact number match on the under side. I'd also want to check to make sure that the front sight hood, and cleaning rod were correct too. Then,.....I don't know, unless I'm out of touch, that price still seems on the high side.

Military Rifle Journal
Back