Third Party Press

German Polish bayonet conversion?

Hambone

Community Organizer
Staff member
I'm not up on my Polish bayonets. They vary. I bought this one awhile back and it is an unnumbered German scabbard, inspected on the ball tip. No other German inspections. Bayonet and scabbard are identical condition and wear and look like they have been together. Is this a German modified / de-ringed and/or blued Polish bayonet or as issued by the Poles? There are all kinds of Polish bayonets, Wz.22, 24, 28, 30, etc., with and without rings, flashguards, unblued and blued. My guess is a de-ringed and blued Wz.28 or a blued Wz.24?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_5192.jpg
    IMG_5192.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5193.jpg
    IMG_5193.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5194.jpg
    IMG_5194.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
It is Polish wz28 made by Radom factory. Other factory making bayonets was named Perkun. Yours model 28 had a muzzle ring that was removed by Germans. Interesting, it wasn't blued by them and retains original Polish unblued finish. I would say it is from early to mid 30's. Later ones had larger thicker grips that were raising above surrounding steel frame. Your are flash with it. Early ones had muzzle flash guard like model 24 and German bayonets.

Jack

One thing to consider is Polish bayonets were very well made, and perhaps the most robust of what might be considered a S84/98 "type" pattern. The polish of the metal was quite high. So, when a nice or as new "finished in white" Polish bayonet got refurbished by the Germans, the blued finish became a hi-gloss one because of the underlying metal. A Polish bayonet which had seen a lot of service use, and was subsequently refurbished, tends not to look as well done. I think your bayonet may be an example of the first scenario. Though it did not come with a Polish scabbard, what appears to be a unnumbered German replacement scabbard is a a good runner-up!

Thanks Jack, PW. It made me dizzy a bit looking at the various Polish Mauser bayonets, then the German reworks of them. I just needed to know whether it was appropriate in a German frog ;) It looks well done with the ring removal and bluing, as in the scabbard is of a fine polished blue finish and so is the bayonet. They match in finish. The bayonet is completely blued, but thin in spots.

Polish Wz.29 bayonet deringed and reblued by Germans, probably added a S84/98 blanko or replacement scabbard, the cg serial number could be german too. Possible origin polish serialed scabbard was lost? Screws in grips added in german manner. b.r.Andy

Last edited:
Thank you Andy!

This forum is the "hidden gem" of this site. Really great stuff, great info. :happy0180:

Has the meaning of the sun burst marking use been nailed down(photo 3)? I have a bnz 41 with the same marking on the receiver. It's located between the bnz and 41. Steel quality?
Ken

The sun stamp on backspine of handle is a polish material proof, done by Wz.28 and Wz.29 bayonets mainly on Radom production.b.r.Andy
Has no link to german gun production.

Maybe my memory is going, but I think it is the same. I'll dig it out and try posting a photo.
Ken

There is a Polish connection.......But Andy is right about that marking. It's on another straight up Polish Wz. bayonet I have, same place. Known inspect.

Since Radom fell under the control of Steyrwerke, it may be a case of German inspectors re-utilizing some of the Polish inspector stamps at that location

Ok, Here is the photo. I believe it is the same stamp. The receiver also bears the 77 Radom stamp. Thoughts?
Ken

Attachments

• 29004329_834054206797351_2056140955_n.jpg
    29004329_834054206797351_2056140955_n.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 27
Could be the Radom stamp, was observed on polish bayonets that were never reworked or owned by germans.Its well known stamp on polish production.b.r.Andy

Military Rifle Journal
Back