Third Party Press

Shooter quality G/K43 advice?

Wolfsburg

Hey guys, for the last few months I've been keeping my eyes open for a solid, shooter grade G/K 43 for a reasonable price. It'll be my first of the breed and I've wanted one for a long time. I was looking for something that presents well and is substantially original (perhaps a few mismatched parts and/or lightly sanded stock) but not so nice that I wouldn't want to take it out and shoot it occasionally (with a shooter kit installed, naturally).

I've run across this AC45 K43 and the seller says it's a tackdriver and a fantastic shooter. He replaced the handguard and says the rifle itself is totally mismatched. He says all parts are original and not reproductions. Unfortunately someone modified the pistol grip area of the stock as well. The magazine has no finish left, it seems. Technically this rifle very much falls into the shooter category that I wanted (though perhaps too much so!). He's asking $2100 shipped. Does that seem reasonable for this rifle? I thought I might be well served to get other opinions and input on this one. Thanks!

Attachments

• k43ac45.jpg
    k43ac45.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 59
  • k43ac451.jpg
    k43ac451.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 77
  • k43ac452.jpg
    k43ac452.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 56
  • k43ac453.jpg
    k43ac453.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 53
  • k43ac455.jpg
    k43ac455.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 45
  • k43ac456.jpg
    k43ac456.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 47
  • k43ac454.jpg
    k43ac454.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 46
The bolt carrier, although from a different rifle, most likely came from an ac45 judging by the missing hold-open latch. The stock modifications are a major distraction but at least the rifle has scope rail. $2,100 shipped is not a bargain basement deal, not even for a fully functioning dual rail rifle. But knowing what magazines, bolt assemblies and other parts go for these days, you will have a hard time assembling your own mixmaster from eBay or Gunporker parts for significantly less than what the seller is asking. Try for $1,800.

Yeah, what was done with the stock is a big turn off honestly, which seems silly since that really has no bearing on functionality. Just ugly I guess. I was disappointed when I saw that (we had talked about the rifle before I saw pics). Still if the price was right and I could get it cheap, I might could overlook it but I’m just not sure it is and not sure he’ll come off by any significant degree. It’s weird because a few weeks ago he had a much nicer, all matching AC45 for sale with a lightly sanded stock for $2200 (BIN 2500, no reserve) on Gunbroker but sadly I missed it. Though in my price range, Im honestly just not seeing how this totally mismatched rifle with a butchered stock is worth only 100-400 bucks less than the other one. Maybe the other was too cheap? I just thought maybe I was missing something or am being unrealistic in what this one is worth.

Unless he can come off drastically, I’ve just about talked myself out of this one and might just be better off waiting for a better one to come along. Maybe I’m actually looking for a “quasi-shooter” that does have some collector value left! Haha!

You’ll need to spend a little extra dollars once you get one of these. You WILL need a shooter’s kit to tame the recoil. Otherwise it will eventually beat itself to death and come apart on you. There’s no telling when as who knows how many rounds have already been fired through one of these without the kit, pounding away at it. Just make sure you inspect the back of the receiver, bolt and bolt carrier on one of these. You’ll need to look for cracks and “bowing” at the back of the receiver.

Definitely! I’ve read enough to know that there’s no way I’d shoot one of these without a kit. I’m just wavering on whether to go with this one or keep looking. The fact I’m feeling hesitation over it might be my answer. The only thing that keeps me interested is he says it’s a fantastic shooter but I really only have his word on that.

There are 4-5 better shooter grade G43's at gunrunner auctions currently with one day left at auction. They are great looking shooters for less than $1600

You should see this poor girl now! Totally re-done and gone through depot Waffenfabrikusa since this post and circulating about.

Attachments

• pix846560493.jpg
    pix846560493.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 22
  • pix211533043.jpg
    pix211533043.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 24
  • pix329208562.jpg
    pix329208562.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 24
  • pix657432407.jpg
    pix657432407.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited by a moderator:
Seller "shnavel" is very evasive about his hump job. Description has been changed, meanwhile, it's obvious the seller is following this forum. Wording has been chosen such that he can always weasel out by claiming "I never stated it was all original and matching".
The bolt carrier has been renumbered; it is the same shown in the O/P's picture, just renumbered. "Shnavel" has now joined the ranks of Humper McBride, Drago Kustom Rifles (DBA Dragom), Elite, Commonwealth and other turd peddlers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seller "shnavel" is very evasive about his hump job. Description has been changed, meanwhile, it's obvious the seller is following this forum. Wording has been chosen such that he can always weasel out by claiming "I never stated it was all original and matching".
The bolt carrier has been renumbered; it is the same shown in the O/P's picture, just renumbered. "Shnavel" has now joined the ranks of Humper McBride, Drago Kustom Rifles (DBA Dragom), Elite, Commonwealth and other turd peddlers.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:gjOobRWF79oJ:https://www.gunbroker.com/item/771041286+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Nothing goes away on the internet.

"Late war Walther K43 serial number 5936a manufactured in February 45. A mix of blue and phosphate finish. Bolt carrier and receiver numbers match. Rare unnumbered bolt and components but are all “359” stamped. Stock is correctly marked. All original metal. Correct type “3” gas system. “359” marked fire control group. Period correct sling. Excellent bore and rifling. Includes 1 original gcb K43 magazine. Will make someone an excellent shooter! Overall condition is very good. C&R FFL accepted. 3% for all credit cards. Personal checks will need to clear before shipment. Buyer pays actual UPS shipping and insurance. No California sales. If you have questions, please email me and I will do my best to answer them. Thanks!"

I only have one piece of advice, don't bother with repro mags LOL. I have yet to get one of the 3 I have to cycle more than 2 rounds without a stoppage...original mag, runs like a clock (I only shoot it withith an Apfeltor shooter kit and non corrosive modern ammo).

As for Shnavel or whoever, for shame... :(

Jeff

This rifle sold originally by my friend in Alabama, Prusakowski for $1736.00 on 3/30/18. I actually bid on it up to $1500 and was out bid by another buyer.

Amazing what a shooter example sales for. I passed on one for $900 from a friend a year ago but everything was wrong, bolt mismatch, messed with stock, dark bore but sharp rifling, no rod, etc.. Guess I should have bought it to shoot.? For a shooter I would wait for one in the $1500 or less range. JMO.

Wow, I hate to see what has happened to the rifle I originally posted! I did finally buy a K43 a little while ago but I haven't had the time to take pictures of it! Complete except the missing cleaning rod. I'm assuming any 12.5in 98k rod will do? The rifle has the "vented" gas cylinder but I still want to get a shooter kit and springs. The trigger pull is very long too so I may try to adjust that a bit.

Military Rifle Journal
Back