Third Party Press

Replacement barrels for G/K43

I was wondering if anyone knows of a source for replacement barrels for the G/K43 rifle, either NOS or repro? I’m new to the forum (long time reader, first time poster) and have tried to search for this info but haven’t had any success.

Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a source for replacement barrels for the G/K43 rifle, either NOS or repro? I’m new to the forum (long time reader, first time poster) and have tried to search for this info but haven’t had any success.

Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

It is extremely hard to take off a barrel correctly, and even harder to put a new one on. Also if I remember correctly alot of the g43 barrels are not the same dimension, and will not headspace correctly. They are pinned in place, not threaded like a 98k. Not meant to be interchanged.

It is extremely hard to take off a barrel correctly, and even harder to put a new one on. Also if I remember correctly alot of the g43 barrels are not the same dimension, and will not headspace correctly. They are pinned in place, not threaded like a 98k. Not meant to be interchanged.

They are pinned and pressed. The only one I know that can do the barrel change is Apfeltor. However, anyone trained in swapping out pressed barrels (also found on the VZ58 and other rifles) should be able to complete the task.

Thanks for the information! I had been eyeballing a barreled action, and wondering how feasible a barrel replacement would be (receiver, bolt, etc looks fine, but bore is dark and pitted). Starting to sound like a little more than I’d prefer to deal with.

Thanks again!

barrel change?

They are pinned and pressed. The only one I know that can do the barrel change is Apfeltor. However, anyone trained in swapping out pressed barrels (also found on the VZ58 and other rifles) should be able to complete the task.

I'd not think it'd be much if any different than a AK, VZ58 or the MP44's I do regularly. Barrel could be turned from a rifled blank and chambered since I'd not think a new never installed original could be had.
None of it a cheap project but quite doable.
Pete

I just know my gunsmith ordered it from Lothar Walther but he's very competent so I guess he could have used a blank. No I'm sure because its chambered in .308 :)

Considering everything else that would need to be done to turn it into a functional rifle, I’m guessing that starting with a barrel blank would do me no favors in the expense department. It’s worth getting a quote, I suppose, but I can’t help but think it would be cheaper overall to just keep my eyes open for a decent shooter grade example.

As for Lothar Walther, yeah, I looked at them, and was hoping that the designers of the 43 had simply decided to re-use k98 barrels to save time! But then, I suppose pressing and pinning saves time vs. machining threads.

I know Apfeltor is cheaper when I got the quote, but to get the work done, I would have had to import/export which killed it for me.

I got the barrel (original) for $100-200. I recently picked up some Lothar Walther NEW K98 contoured barrels for $200 (Going out of business sale) and I know new they are listed at $299 US. So that gives you an idea of cost.

Military Rifle Journal
Back