Third Party Press

And here it is! The $1000 RC

heavy_mech

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual
There's been quite a bit of discussion including the 'I wouldn't pay $200 for an RC' sentiment. This is definitely a new benchmark for auctions I've been watching. Despite the sellers claims of how 'rare' it is? I don't see anything that tells me this is more than a $500 rifle at best. Funny stuff in the description.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/748272467

I thought the SS guns for the Hitler youth were made with adjustable stocks so they could grow in to them until the became true SS. :googlie:googlie. That make about as much sense as what was written. That is a crazy price for a fake rune RC.

Maybe someone wanted the internally unnumbered late Gustloff stock.

That almost makes sense.. or at least as much sense as anything else related to this. I can still see some nice chatter even under the shellac. I wonder how it would look with the shellac carefully removed.

That almost makes sense.. or at least as much sense as anything else related to this. I can still see some nice chatter even under the shellac. I wonder how it would look with the shellac carefully removed.

I didn't see a good photo of the Russian numbering on the left. It is possible that the numbers can be lifted or at least diminished quite a bit if they are lightly struck. Some of the Russian stocks had a previous RC number removed and a new one restamped. There is no hiding that. With the chatter still visible, there's a decent chance that the eagle/H is unsanded.

Sweaty Ben would have gotten $2000 for it after a little work on the numbers and war eagles.

I didn't see a good photo of the Russian numbering on the left. It is possible that the numbers can be lifted or at least diminished quite a bit if they are lightly struck..

I didn't take note of any numbers, probably because there's only one shot of the left side and that area just happens to be in shadows. Totally a coincidence I'm sure.

left side.jpg

No e/H either and there is chatter all through that area. One thing I also forgot to mention is it's import marked as well! Not the huge dot matrix 'billboard' style but quite obvious in any case.

Yeah, I couldn't help noticing the shadow over the area where the RC number should be. I'm sure that was a coincidence. I'm also sure the seller simply forgot to take a close-up of the left of the stock where the numbers would be. Sarcasm aside, I would bet that the E/H is intact though. Cr@ppy photo, Russian shellac, and it is a laminated stock so the marking may not be very deep anyway. I wouldn't spend $500 to buy this rifle with or without that stock regardless. I was just pointing out that it might have a redeeming quality to someone. A better guess is that a pair of less experienced buyers went after each other for it.

Last edited:
The workers at the SS factory knew the war was lost, so instead of centering the rune on the receiver ring they offset it to the right to preserve the center for the victorious Russians to put their "X". :facepalm:

The workers at the SS factory knew the war was lost, so instead of centering the rune on the receiver ring they offset it to the right to preserve the center for the victorious Russians to put their "X". :facepalm:

Expect to see verbiage like the above in an item description from Sweaty Ben.

KJ

I didn't see a good photo of the Russian numbering on the left. It is possible that the numbers can be lifted or at least diminished quite a bit if they are lightly struck. Some of the Russian stocks had a previous RC number removed and a new one restamped. There is no hiding that. With the chatter still visible, there's a decent chance that the eagle/H is unsanded.

I bought a RC from my local guy 10+ years ago. I forget what code and year but it had a super nice full kriegs stock on it with very little shellac and the number on the left was very faint. I used my friends industrial steamer on it and the numbers just disappeared. I thought it would delaminate but it didn't. I got very lucky, there were no serial numbers or other markings and rough as a cobb.

"This rifle was made in 1944, and from what I have learned they only stamped it with one "4" because the other "4" die broke late in 1944 and they were about to be switching over to "45" dates." :facepalm:

Military Rifle Journal
Back