Third Party Press

K 43 potential purchase! Opinions and evaluations welome!

One sure what to know about the band, examine it, is there phosphate over the cracked edges or clean(probably air rust) metal? That one photo I can’t say, it’s likely after the fact
Tho

It’s been for sale for a while. It was listed for $4,950.00

Looks to be a nice rifle. To replace the band will be a real hassle.

It’s also showing to have the milled off side scope mount rail too.

Other than crappy metal that made the front band, how in the world would it have cracked? That’s not some high stress area or anything.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, just an observation. Anybody else see in the video to disassemble, the late bolt carrier without the latch also does not have the reinforcing rib. Seems odd as that was added very early but the late model does not have it. I have noted this feature on others but not often, without the latch and without the rib. Interesting variation.

Slightly off topic, just an observation. Anybody else see in the video to disassemble, the late bolt carrier without the latch also does not have the reinforcing rib. Seems odd as that was added very early but the late model does not have it. I have noted this feature on others but not often, without the latch and without the rib. Interesting variation.

I checked my d block, no latch and no rib.

Someone once hypothesized that the Germans started to use unfinished rejected parts later in the war to speed production. Thus the use of unribbed, no latch parts. It would be interesting if someone could prove that these specific parts were "out of spec" compared to other bolt carriers.

It’s been for sale for a while. It was listed for $4,950.00

Looks to be a nice rifle. To replace the band will be a real hassle.

It’s also showing to have the milled off side scope mount rail too.

Other than crappy metal that made the front band, how in the world would it have cracked? That’s not some high stress area or anything.
From recent experience, if you have a snap ring tool and a brass punch set, you can get it off fairly easily ( you might have to hammer a bit to get that front sight off, but it does come off. It should actually have a little vertical mark on the sight and front post to help you line it back up to how it was before removal.

Rifle looks pretty clean, I'd want to pull off the cover of the piston and check out that plus looking at the matching parts of the bolt before I'd buy.

To me the front band looks like someone pulled too hard on the ring with a sling.

Last edited:
Picked her up. Bolt flap matches, and it is a double lug receiver.

What else would people like to know or see?

Nice gun, entirely correct. The photos are a little hard to make out, but I believe this to be an AC-45 gun. These were produced only into the d block. If that's what this is, then it's the highest d block serial number I've ever observed.

The barrel band got damaged at some point. It certainly didn't happen before the final inspection and acceptance process signified by the stamps on the stock. Walther never produced junk. The factory was never bombed, and had a stable labor force with high priorities for machine tools and materials right up until the end of the war. If the front sight post is carefully drifted off of the base, the band can be easily removed and replaced.

There are other characteristics to late war AC-45s, not seen in rifles from other manufacturers. These represent distinct product improvements, not just random changes. Because of the dual lugs, the extractor has been re-indexed on the bolt, so that fired cartridge cases can eject. There's a small added cross pin in the forward part of the receiver. The gas piston is made of stainless steel, and the gas cylinder has added three millimeter holes that make for a much less violent action, preventing the cracks in the rear of the receiver common to earlier guns. The spring housing is stamped. The recoil lug has been moved well forward, so that stocks from earlier guns will not fit late AC-45s. Metal parts can be a mixture of blue and phosphate, or all blue, or all phosphate. That was just luck of the draw during assembly. On the back of the receiver below the safety lever there'll be a marking, most often a heart. No one seems to know what this signified.

Edit: On late AC-45s we see four distinct finishes to stocks and handguards. Always red glue, and very rough, smooth (or smoother), stained, and unstained. Collectors today see a smooth, unstained stock on an AC-45 and are certain it's been sanded. This is not always the case.

Darrin Weaver says that the dual lug was not on earlier guns because it caused problems and was simply milled off after initial forging and milling. (Yes, all G/K-43 receivers are forged, and not cast). If this is true, why did Walther start producing dual lug guns, and go to all of the trouble to redesign the bolt?

These guns were targeted after production and before acceptance. Guns with acceptable (but not good) accuracy had their scope rails milled off, as we see here.

I have AC-45 55xxC, in original unissued condition. The story is that it was taken from the factory in the orgy of looting that followed capture. This fits, as the gun has no inspection or acceptance marks in the wood, and no proof marks in the metal. I acquired the gun in 1996. Being young and stupid, I ran 60 rounds through it one afternoon. I found it to be reliable, very accurate, and a joy to shoot.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a front barrel band they'd be willing to part with? I'd love to fix the only major flaw on this rifle.

Military Rifle Journal
Back