Third Party Press

K98 Bayonet Contract Marked H L

vafred

I have a really nice K98 bayonet marked H L bayonet and was hoping someone could tell me more about it. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I have a really nice K98 bayonet marked H L bayonet and was hoping someone could tell me more about it. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Can you post some pictures, you should be able to do so after two/three more posts.

As KKW22cal stated, photographs would be most helpful. A few transitional "narrow pattern" S84/98 have been observed with the HL stamping to the reverse ricasso. The HL is hand stamped and thought to be an organizational designation. Some have postulated that it is a Reichsbahndirektion or Deutsche Reichsbahn marking but i don't believe this has been confirmed. The obverse ricasso usually bears a one, two, or three digit serial number (no letter block). The scabbards are unmarked and of the narrow pattern style. These bayonets are quite scarce if not rare. One of Christian Méry's books shows an example in the RBD/DR section which is fitted with a Bahnschutz marked frog. Another example can be viewed here: http://k98.free.fr/HL-233.html

Hope this helps .....

As mentioned by others it could be part of equipment of the Halle ReichsBahnDirektion Bahnschutz units, we should see more details, most pieces were made on Horstator marked samples.b.r.Andy

Here are a couple of pictures of the one I acquired some 30 years ago. It is the narrow blade variation. It is difficult to make out the complete marking on the frog. I know of 2 other "HL" marked examples that also came with their original frogs. By comparing them with mine, I was able to figure out the complete marking...."Bahnschutz, RBD Halle (S)". The other 2 examples were also narrow blades.

Attachments

• HL 01a.jpg
    HL 01a.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 49
  • HL 02a.jpg
    HL 02a.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 57
  • HL 03a.jpg
    HL 03a.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 45
  • HL 04a.jpg
    HL 04a.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 56
  • HL 11a.jpg
    HL 11a.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 49
I know of 2 other "HL" marked examples that also came with their original frogs. By comparing them with mine, I was able to figure out the complete marking...."Bahnschutz, RBD Halle (S)". The other 2 examples were also narrow blades.

The example in Christian Méry's book has this same frog marking and is a "narrow pattern" as well. Perhaps one of the pieces you are already aware of .....

Nice one rig Behoerden S84/98 for Bahnschutz RBD HL complete with correct frog, this piece has not Hoerster comm. TM. It looks like a smaller blade as normal S84/98.Possible the mouth piece of scabbard is a thicker one. b.r.Andy

K98 Bayonet H L

As KKW22cal stated, photographs would be most helpful. A few transitional "narrow pattern" S84/98 have been observed with the HL stamping to the reverse ricasso. The HL is hand stamped and thought to be an organizational designation. Some have postulated that it is a Reichsbahndirektion or Deutsche Reichsbahn marking but i don't believe this has been confirmed. The obverse ricasso usually bears a one, two, or three digit serial number (no letter block). The scabbards are unmarked and of the narrow pattern style. These bayonets are quite scarce if not rare. One of Christian Méry's books shows an example in the RBD/DR section which is fitted with a Bahnschutz marked frog. Another example can be viewed here: http://k98.free.fr/HL-233.html

Hope this helps .....

Thank you for the help and information. As soon as I can I will post the pictures. Mine is in very good condition. Much nicer than the example. Is there anything that would confirm what contract it was purchased for?

K98 H L bayonet

I have tried to download pictures, but even on the lowest setting the files are too large. I do appreciate the help and information. The one I have is marked the same as the one shown in the pictures. I would rate the condition on mine better than the one in the pictures. Anyone have any idea as to a value?

Can you take pictures on your phone and upload those? Without pictures there is no way to put a value on it. Condition is subjective and only with eyeballs on it would there be a way to put a more accurate value on it.

Pictures taken on new mobile are too large, should be decreased on any PC editing software to max 250kB size.b.r.Andy

Can you take pictures on your phone and upload those? Without pictures there is no way to put a value on it. Condition is subjective and only with eyeballs on it would there be a way to put a more accurate value on it.

This site says the file is too large. I am using the lowest resolution on my phone? Any suggestions ?

It looks like a nice S84/98 Behoerden bayonet for Bahnschutz Halle, question is the coat on scabbard a black paint? b.r.Andy

I looked at the finish again....and I see no brush strokes or any type of spray. The finish is even over the entire surface. I don't see how it could be anything but original. ....my humble opinion. With all you see....best guess on value?

There are small scratches and dents on backside that looks were overpainted? or blued, You should inspice too the area near ball finial and under hook of scabbard. About prices is hard to say, as this is certainly not a obvious piece, but in collectors area, not extra loved the unmarked Behoerden bayonets S84/98. Look at Ebay for prices.How is the serial number on blade? thanks. b.r.Andy

Thanks for the pics vafred. I am of the same opinion as Peter and Andrej. Could you please advise the serial number? Unable to make it out from the photographs.

Military Rifle Journal
Back