Third Party Press

HZa Ingolstadt M41 Carcano

RyanE

Baby Face
Staff member
Finally found a nice HZa M41 Carcano. Not sure why, but the HZa marked M41s are incredibly difficult to locate. Maybe the SS took all of them for the Polizei regiments.

1943 Terni from the AV block, so still fairly early in the year. The large round dent in the buttstock is the acceptance roundel. Sometime in early 1943, Terni changed out the large acceptance roundel for this smaller one. I have no idea what the small roundel actually looks like, since every single one I have seen looks like this. :googlie

You can see a nice example of the larger roundel on my AO block.

Stock is duffle cut with a few dings, but otherwise in super nice shape. Ingolstadt acceptance is the usual HZaJt3.

Attachments

• SN.jpg
    SN.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 162
  • Barrel.jpg
    Barrel.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 166
  • Stock SN.jpg
    Stock SN.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 197
  • Stock Cut.jpg
    Stock Cut.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 170
  • HZa.jpg
    HZa.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 223
  • Right_01.jpg
    Right_01.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 164
  • Left_01.jpg
    Left_01.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 152
Nice rifle and thanks for posting it. I learned something new today and will be keeping my eyes open for one.

Very cool rifle. Love the stock, has a great look to it. German captured rifles are super cool, especially when marked like this.

Very cool M.41 Ryan. Isn't that block near or in the grooved front sight range?

Wow is that in nice condition! I always examine any Carcano's I find at gunshows for signs of German use but nothing so far. I doubt we have many up here.

Nice find Ryan. Congrats!

The front sight base looks grooved? These are cool rifles and there are more of them out there with German markings than many would think. People don't expect to find these markings so I think they frequently do not look. Carcanos are a well kept secret. They were slammed for being cheap and dangerous in a gun rag, probably in the 1960's, and the undeserved reputation stuck. That and the fact that those who murdered JFK used a Carcano as the supposed murder weapon. It does not help that half the old school gun shops we frequent have had the same 2-3 sanded to death and mutilated Carcanos sitting in the rack for the last 35 years at the same price. In original configuration, Carcanos are well made and interesting. Very nice example, Ryan! It would be hard to upgrade, even without the German markings.

The front sight base looks grooved? These are cool rifles and there are more of them out there with German markings than many would think. People don't expect to find these markings so I think they frequently do not look. Carcanos are a well kept secret. They were slammed for being cheap and dangerous in a gun rag, probably in the 1960's, and the undeserved reputation stuck. That and the fact that those who murdered JFK used a Carcano as the supposed murder weapon. It does not help that half the old school gun shops we frequent have had the same 2-3 sanded to death and mutilated Carcanos sitting in the rack for the last 35 years at the same price. In original configuration, Carcanos are well made and interesting. Very nice example, Ryan! It would be hard to upgrade, even without the German markings.

No, sadly not grooved. First thing I checked when it arrived. I wouldn't be surprised if one day an AV block is found with the grooves.

Your are constantly finding this stuff making me jealous, everything that I want. I am just struggling to identify anything good on Gunbroker. Wish I knew your secret.

Saw that AV3797 on the Italian forum, nice buy.
Earliest Terni M41 I have recorded with the grooved front sight base is AW7345, latest is BH468, last M41 recorded is BH7362 which isn't cut. They are mixed cut and uncut in this range, apparently they weren't in a solid block, pulled from stock and cut? There is one Armaguerra Cremona recorded with a cut base #QZ4230 when reported it didnty have the G33/40 hood on it, when sold by "Grey Blanket" it did. The G33/40 hood is a perfect fit. I was told by an advanced collector, who has a M41, his came with a VG-1 hood on it, he stated the VG-1 hood is slightly different than a G33/40 hood, which seems odd to me, why make a special hood for the VG-1.

David

Earliest Terni M41 I have recorded with the grooved front sight base is AW7345, latest is BH468...They are mixed cut and uncut in this range, apparently they weren't in a solid block, pulled from stock and cut?

For what it's worth, there is a cut base AW5309 or possibly 5360 (very difficult to read), and BI 3660 (cut base) was sold a few months ago. That one did not have a matching stock (QI 3366), though. I agree about the odd mix of cut/uncut in that range, almost like they selected those for modification from supply available only in certain areas at a particular time.

Pat

They are mixed cut and uncut in this range, apparently they weren't in a solid block, pulled from stock and cut?

I would guess that these rifles were cut by the Germans later on, and rifles were pulled from locally available crates and cut for the hoods, thus the seemingly random distribution of cut rifles.

Excellent condition. I know nothing of carcanos. What would the Germans have done to this one?

I missed this when first posted. Great rifle Ryan! The blue and wood are in fantastic condition. Interesting how you keep finding these but good work on your part. :thumbsup:

Excellent condition. I know nothing of carcanos. What would the Germans have done to this one?
Nothing. The vast majority of depot Carcanos have absolutely nothing done to them. They are almost all brand new late production guns. Those from HNZaInn4 usually have blued bolts.

Did the depot blue them?

So basically just cycled through the depot upon obtaining them?

Yes, Inn4 blued the bolts. Mine has also been numbered.

I don't know why factory new rifles would have required any inspection. Perhaps the depots were doing an inventory of weapons seized in September 43?

Military Rifle Journal
Back