Third Party Press

My first K98 AR code

papahound

I have been looking to add a K98 to the collection but have not had much louck finding anything local . The prices on the auction sights are all over the place and being new to K98's I really didn't want to sink a fortune in a shooter grade rifle .

I was at my LGS today and he had a AR code rifle that had nice curb appeal and was priced in my range . The numbers on the gun matched up pretty good but the bolt looked like someone had scratched them on there so most likely the bolt does not match up with the gun . Did not make or break the deal because I was mainly looking for a shooter and I am not the purist by any means . It did come with a cleaning rod and a reproduction sling . Very pleased with this for now - may be able to take my time and find something a little nicer in the future .

Happy trails to all
Papa

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 63
A few more pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 37
And a couple more pics

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 53
And a few more pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 41
What you've got there is called a "russian capture" rifle, a gun that ended up in soviet possession at the end of WW2 and was subsequently rearsenaled by them using their own style. This means the numbers are mixed, and that important parts are electro-penciled to match. There is also an X stamped on the receiver, and the stock is stamped on the left side. Value? 500-600 is my area, some people go higher.

As has already been said, your rifle is a Russian Capture. The Russians took all the thousands of K98s they acquired during the war and shipped them back to arsenals or depots where they were disassembled, cleaned, reblued (the heavy bluing is characteristic of R/C guns) and then reassembled, but in reassembly they just used parts as they came out of the process, so they electro-pencil engraved (wrote) the serial number on major parts, and stamped the serial number on the side of the stock. The “x” on the receiver is also a characteristic Russian ownership marking they added. Also the heavy shellac applied to the stock is typical for them. The Russian process produced perfectly useable rifles, but the scrambled parts are less desirable from a collector value point of view.

From a firing aspect these are often excellent shooters. From a collecting point of view they are less desirable than all original all matching guns, BUT you can do things with them that you wouldn’t do with a more collectible one, like reenactments in all weather for example.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new rifle! By the way, if you are looking for a matching collectible K98, the forum trader here is the best place in the world to find one!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow - Russian collusion
Thanks for the history lesson . I knew It was not Rock Island Auction material but would be a good shooter . I have a P38 that also was Russian capture and shoots great . Just part of its history . I took it to the range today and put 6 rounds through it and it functioned flawless - went bang every time I pulled the trigger . I was very surprised how great the groups were at 40 yards with surplus ammo .

I was at a local gunshow this past weekend and there was not one K98 in the house . All of the old military rifles there Carcanos - Enfields - Arisaka - Etc. were in relic condition . This will do for now and I can take my time in finding a Safe Queen - meanwhile I'll educate myself and enjoy the ride !!

Thanks guys : :

I was at a local gunshow this past weekend and there was not one K98 in the house . All of the old military rifles there Carcanos - Enfields - Arisaka - Etc. were in relic condition . This will do for now and I can take my time in finding a Safe Queen - meanwhile I'll educate myself and enjoy the ride !!

I have seen this a lot in the past few years. It has been really hard to locate K98k's at local gun shows in my area. When you do find them they are usually high priced and they are mix masters.

Wow - Russian collusion
Thanks for the history lesson . I knew It was not Rock Island Auction material but would be a good shooter . I have a P38 that also was Russian capture and shoots great . Just part of its history . I took it to the range today and put 6 rounds through it and it functioned flawless - went bang every time I pulled the trigger . I was very surprised how great the groups were at 40 yards with surplus ammo .

I’m in your neck of the woods and believe I checked this rifle out last Friday. It’s a nice RC and I hope a great shooter. I hope you got a good deal well below the asking price “plus tax.” I picked up my only K98 at the now closed Gander Mountain in Mooresville. It is a bolt mismatch DOU 44.

I’m in your neck of the woods and believe I checked this rifle out last Friday. It’s a nice RC and I hope a great shooter. I hope you got a good deal well below the asking price “plus tax.” I picked up my only K98 at the now closed Gander Mountain in Mooresville. It is a bolt mismatch DOU 44.

Yes this rifle was near you and the asking price was rediculas - I do lots of business - buying and trading with this guy and he did cut me a deal but he did tack on the tax :

I am pleased and that will satisfy me for now but I can see where these things can be addictive and I'll probably add a few more in the future :

Yes this rifle was near you and the asking price was rediculas - I do lots of business - buying and trading with this guy and he did cut me a deal but he did tack on the tax :

I am pleased and that will satisfy me for now but I can see where these things can be addictive and I'll probably add a few more in the future :

Excellent - I’m a regular there as well. Glad to hear it was a good deal!

Military Rifle Journal
Back