Third Party Press

RCO 4 tan Rg34

jack944

Every time I see one of these at a gun show it is priced outrageously.. I say I will go back and negotiate a sane price, and it always is sold when I go back later.

Well....I still think they are over-priced...but I am not getting any younger..so I pulled the trigger.

Attachments

• image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 121
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 85
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
That's a nice late Rg34 I have quite a few of the earlier ones up to 44 but these ordiance tan late ones are difficult to find and do sell for crazy prices. A whole lot less of them I guess. timothy

No. These were issued late in 44 and 45. I have never seen a documented reason for the change from green.

Congrats Jack. Nice Rg.34. I think these went tan, or dunkelgelb RAL 7028, for the same reason all other equipment did from about mid-1943 on. We see this change in, e.g., Zf.41 scope cans as well. I would guess that a Rg.34 was less of a priority than AFVs, and all the other gear and the paint on hand was used up. All equipment follows the pattern from dark grey to tan for equipment as that is what the changing orders required. Rg.34 are no different, they just got to it later. Had the war gone on another year there would have been far more RAL 7028 cans. Again, well done.

Nice can, but I’m pretty sure at least the chain and tool are from one of the postwar East German Bakelite sets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice can, but I’m pretty sure at least the chain and tool are from one of the postwar East German Bakelite sets.

I have another late chain to compare..what is the difference? Wasn't sure on the spoon because of the color in picture.

Mike is correct, the chain and tool are post war. So are the brushes. Not sure on the oiler. Would need better pics. I call these chains "dog chains" as the twisted wire links resemble that type of construction. Here is an original example of the late twisted wire chain.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-31 at 12.07.49 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-03-31 at 12.07.49 PM.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 55
Correct goodies

Honestly I didn't really care about the internals as I have spare bits.

The guy who sold it to me is going to send me period giblets.:happy0180:

I agree jack, the can is the hard part to find. Won’t take much to find the right internals to be honest.

The right giblets

Frederik at FJM44 really backs up what he sells..he sent me another extra kit no charge with correct goodies. This chain is different from Slash's as it has the very late simplified wire loop end.

Plus he sends this killer candy with every order.

Quick lesson..correct brushes have solder on tips, and any chains with loops rotated 90 degrees are post war.

Attachments

• 20180420_121332.jpg
    20180420_121332.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 20180420_122243.jpg
    20180420_122243.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
a more scientific approach is needed to refill a cleaning kit with its content as it should be when it was issued.

Attachments

• IMG_1557.jpg
    IMG_1557.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 35

Military Rifle Journal
Back