Third Party Press

bcd 42 f block

Hambone

Community Organizer
Staff member
Transition between H band and speed milled, numbered rear sight leaf and not, external numbered stock and internal numbered.

Attachments

• IMG_2999.JPG
    IMG_2999.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_3000.JPG
    IMG_3000.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_3002.JPG
    IMG_3002.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_3005.JPG
    IMG_3005.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_3009.JPG
    IMG_3009.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_3011.JPG
    IMG_3011.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_3012.JPG
    IMG_3012.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_3016.JPG
    IMG_3016.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_3023.JPG
    IMG_3023.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_3025.JPG
    IMG_3025.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
Great rifle, Craig. I absolutely love really nice metal finish. That one is outstanding.

You need to pic stickie yourself this time!

Jeff

Yep. Stock was unstained and the old "vet" varnish coat protected it and was over the metal parts too, including the buttplate. No evidence of sanding, takedown disc cleaning, etc., wood is rough and you can feel the grain. bcd appears to have final finished their stocks a bit and many were unstained (or very lightly, maybe flaxseed oil wiped) anyway.

Recent

Is this a recent pick up or have you been digging through the safe ? Wow...bcd is my code and have never seen one that nice. :hail:

New to me. Got it Friday, stripped the varnish off the stock yesterday and took pics. It's essentially this unissued bcd 41:
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?161-bcd-41
with the black bcd storage grease cleaned off and someone long ago then put a protective varnish coat on the stock.

Attachments

• 98k bcd 42 f (5).JPG
    98k bcd 42 f (5).JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 98k bcd 42 f (6).JPG
    98k bcd 42 f (6).JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 98k bcd 42 f (8).JPG
    98k bcd 42 f (8).JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 98k bcd 42 f (13).JPG
    98k bcd 42 f (13).JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 98k bcd 42 f (15).JPG
    98k bcd 42 f (15).JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Yep. Stock was unstained and the old "vet" varnish coat protected it and was over the metal parts too, including the buttplate. No evidence of sanding, takedown disc cleaning, etc., wood is rough and you can feel the grain. bcd appears to have final finished their stocks a bit and many were unstained (or very lightly, maybe flaxseed oil wiped) anyway.

Amazing how many bringbacks you find with a solid coat of varnish on them...they literally just picked up a brush, and varnished the whole thing from stem to stern...I got a .50-70 Remington NYS Militia Rolling Block from a good friend of the families, it had been in his wifes family for several generations, and it was solidly coated in varnish, with heavy gold toning from being in a smokers house for some time, stripped it off the metal and wood, and it turned out to be a beautiful rifle, one I will never part with....

But I must have had at least a dozen old military rifles with the full varnush job...

In any case, she sure is a beaut!

Amazing how many bringbacks you find with a solid coat of varnish on them...they literally just picked up a brush, and varnished the whole thing from stem to stern...I got a .50-70 Remington NYS Militia Rolling Block from a good friend of the families, it had been in his wifes family for several generations, and it was solidly coated in varnish, with heavy gold toning from being in a smokers house for some time, stripped it off the metal and wood, and it turned out to be a beautiful rifle, one I will never part with....

But I must have had at least a dozen old military rifles with the full varnush job...

In any case, she sure is a beaut!

Yeah, and the varnish often covers the metal (at least some of it). Remove the varnish correctly if it was the right varnish, and it turns out that the varnish works as a preservative for all the original wood and metal.

Can be a very good thing, actually.

Gorgeous rifle, Craig. I think I already said that....

jeff

Tks Pzjgr, Jeff. Sometimes you have to be able to see behind the varnish. Sometimes that old varnish comes off to reveal sanding, sometimes it doesn't. An old varnish coat will invariably protect the metal, like a time capsule.

Tks Pzjgr, Jeff. Sometimes you have to be able to see behind the varnish. Sometimes that old varnish comes off to reveal sanding, sometimes it doesn't. An old varnish coat will invariably protect the metal, like a time capsule.

What did you use to remove the varnish? With mineral spirits or whatever, I would be afraid the chemicals might attack the blue on the metal underneath...

I use either acetone or mineral spirits usually...never had any problems with it attacking finish. With the Rolling Block, it was not even an issue, as the NYS Militia rifles were almost always finished in the white...

You can always experiment with a small, hidden area to be safe....

I used regular paint and varnish stripper (not the one that removes stain), sprayed it on, when the varnish bubbled up and lifted clear of the wood surface and I just brushed it off. No effect on the wood or wood finish, grain, etc. I don't leave it on there longer than about 15 minutes. Never use any abrasive. Then, wipe it with acetone quickly. Never had a problem with blue removal in many years of this method. It simply reveals that which was there when the varnish coat was put on. Sometimes it is like this, sometimes it reveals sanding and prep work.

Military Rifle Journal
Back