Third Party Press

Holy 1940 243!

Warrior1354

ax - hole
This is a nice all matching rifle but good Lord thats alot of money for one of these. Especially when the Navy marked pieces are much scarcer and worth more money. But I'm seeing alot of NR bidders in this auction and I'm guessing shills. The winning bidder is not one of them but he paid alot of money for it this rifle around $5500!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/758215141

Why is it that it seems the auctions which bring such over the top prices all seem to have "NR" bidders and low feedback bidders running up the prices?

I don’t know why you guys are always so astounded. Lmao. There’s clearly retards willing to pay for junk. I am never surprised by anything on gunbroker these days.

I don’t know why you guys are always so astounded

Because it's always new highs (lows?) of ridiculousness. Yada yada yada... nice rifle... blah blah blah. $5500?? Are you shitting me? Maybe if it was 3 of them? Like Ham said it always seems to involve no and low feedback buyers who all seem to be in a frenzy to throw their money away. No one in their right mind pays this much for this rifle, auction fever or not. Btw there were 8, yes eight! NR bidders in this one.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/758215141/BidHistory

I was going to make a post on this myself but I also knew Warrior was tracking this debacle too.

Nice, honest rifle. Late enough in 1940 to have the hood grooves. But $5,500? ouch. Now I don't feel as bad shucking out $3,200 for a matching 38 bSw last fall.

Wow!!! unbelievable is all I can say. Caught my eye as it is same code and year as my dad's bringback. I know people often over bid on that site but that is crazy.

Uneducated buyers with money I suppose. Millennials and their money? Baron83 has it to burn apparently.

KJ

Baron? Isn't that the President's boy? $5,500 large is couch change to him. lol

I think GunBroker has a bit of a shill problem. Anyone else think it is suspicious that there is so much similarity in the user names of the NR bidders in this auction?

SeaBass117 NR
capo2186 NR
Cambrian1 NR
Cassiday65 NR
Brum59 NR

I wouldn't be surprised if these were all the work of the same person.

If I had to guess, my guess would be that the last real bid (other than the buyer) in this auction was the bidder WashingtonTexas A+(1) at $1,975. The only reason I think that bid may be non-shill is because that bidder attached an FFL to the account. $2K for that rifle makes more sense anyway. Despite it being a decent looking example, I also do not recognize any collectors here among the bidders. I think that the "winner", 83Baron, just got taken for the additional $3,500. Not surprising when you look in his feedback and see that he bought an MP43 magazine using a BIN for $1,095. I would also imagine that 83Baron can afford to pay the extra. So whatever, his money, his choices, etc...OTOH, I do not think this establishes a new value for 243 1940's. At least, not until 83Baron decides he needs another one.

243 1940

Fairly common code and not rare.
I put this in the 1800-2000 ball park based on condition.
And thats being generous.

Me personally, if this was on a table at a show I doubt if I would have gone over 1400-1500 for it.
I do need one of these but at the selling price, incredible.

B.

Usually when I see k98k rifles reach this type of selling price their usually really rare. Such as S/42k, 1939 337 too name a few.

I think GunBroker has a bit of a shill problem. Anyone else think it is suspicious that there is so much similarity in the user names of the NR bidders in this auction?

SeaBass117 NR
capo2186 NR
Cambrian1 NR
Cassiday65 NR
Brum59 NR

If I had to guess, my guess would be that the last real bid (other than the buyer) in this auction was the bidder WashingtonTexas A+(1) at $1,975. The only reason I think that bid may be non-shill is because that bidder attached an FFL to the account. $2K for that rifle makes more sense anyway. Despite it being a decent looking example, I also do not recognize any collectors here among the bidders. I think that the "winner", 83Baron, just got taken for the additional $3,500. Not surprising when you look in his feedback and see that he bought an MP43 magazine using a BIN for $1,095. I would also imagine that 83Baron can afford to pay the extra. So whatever, his money, his choices, etc...OTOH, I do not think this establishes a new value for 243 1940's. At least, not until 83Baron decides he needs another one.

Were I a cynical guy, I might suggest that whenever anyone here has a halfway decent item for sale, we should contact 83Baron. With a commensurate markup...

KJ

Fairly common code and not rare.
I put this in the 1800-2000 ball park based on condition.
And thats being generous.

This is exactly where my comments came from. Not uber rare (they made a lot) and not 'museum grade'. Thanks for adding some more sanity to this discussion. I know you've seen a lot of rifles.

..I think that the "winner", 83Baron, just got taken for the additional $3,500. Not surprising when you look in his feedback and see that he bought an MP43 magazine using a BIN for $1,095. I would also imagine that 83Baron can afford to pay the extra..

I agree with this but still something bugs me. So I guess 'Baron' just decides he's got to have this certain item and bids like money is no object? Seems odd when people pay 2, 3 or 4 or more times average retail. Maybe I'm missing something? I thought I understood the whole impulse buying thing.

This is exactly where my comments came from. Not uber rare (they made a lot) and not 'museum grade'. Thanks for adding some more sanity to this discussion. I know you've seen a lot of rifles.

Believe it or not I know the seller personally from the OGCA shows. He really is a good guy and has alot of really nice stuff. But alot of it is priced high. He did ask me my opinion on this rifle. I told him his pictures were good. And I told him the rifle being cut for a sight hood in this letter block is correct for the time frame in 1940 with the letter block. But I also said if it was Navy marked on the stock plus had a Navy marked stock disk it would be worth far more in value and more desirable too collectors. Guess I was wrong and this Baron fellow wanted too pay over $5000 for the more common Army marked rifle.

When I was watching the auction I thought when it got too $2200 it was too high! And then it just took off!

I'm not a hater of either the rifle or the seller. I just think the price is ridiculous, that's all. As Bruce so eloquently said, I think 1800-2000 is good. I can even see 3k or even a bit more. It is nice. 55 is insane IMHO. I'll be surprised if that deal is actually done. Of course that's that's the part we don't see.

I'm not a hater of either the rifle or the seller. I just think the price is ridiculous, that's all. As Bruce so eloquently said, I think 1800-2000 is good. I can even see 3k or even a bit more. It is nice. 55 is insane IMHO. I'll be surprised if that deal is actually done. Of course that's that's the part we don't see.

I don't know Gunbroker has been all over the place lately. But I did see a nice Marine Corp 1903 Springfield depot rifle sell tonight for $805. Rifle was reworked by the Marines and had a USMC marked barrel from July of 1941. So there are still go deals on the site but you just have too look and hope you find something that sells for not too crazy.

But I agree with you HM I don't like the seven or eight NR bidders. When I see that many I just don't like it.

SeaBass117 NR
capo2186 NR
Cambrian1 NR
Cassiday65 NR
Brum59 NR

All of this. I'm not speaking of this auction, but generally, in most states "shill bidding" is a crime. Doing it across state lines with several people involved could even make it a federal offense. I've been bidding in Gunbonker auctions about to win something at a good price when a couple NR "bidders" jumped in or a 2 feedback registered for years only prior bids on totally unrelated items jumped in. That's when I quit so as not to end up the a$$ monkey of some cheesy internets auction huckster.

Military Rifle Journal
Back