Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issue Marsch Kompass

Default Issue Marsch Kompass

Scored this beauty 2 weekends ago at the DACA show in Dallas from a guy walking around. He came up to my table on Saturday and mentioned he had a army compass, wanted to know if I was interested...I said sure, figuring it would be a US Army Corps of Engineers compass....

He came back Sunday, and pulled this out...I thought...oooh! I asked how much he wanted for it, he said $35, I said Yes, Please!

Makes a nice companion to my other like this, which is not cold proofed (The white "A" on the lid meant it was treated for very cold weather use), and is a little better made....

I should get pics of them together, along with my non-issue type compasses...These black ones were standard issue types, but many private purchase types were used also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

He was right, an "army" compass. Gotta love deals like that.

Yep, he was right, it was an Army compass....

So here are my two issue types side by side...the earlier one is maker marked Krieger and Faudt, Berlin, while the second one is coded clk, who was F.W. Breithaupt & Sohn, Kassel.

The older one has a very nice reflector, highly polished, and mirror like...the clk's reflector is much poorer, and almost un-useable. Slight differenced in construction of card and arrows and such. Also the earlier one has a crinkle finish to the lid, while the clk is smooth.

And of course there is the cold weather mark on the clk.

Unfortunately the earlier one also has a broken chunk that where the hole of the lanyard is so the lanyard is epoxied in.

Here is what I believe is another style of issue compass, as it is coded cah...much different in design that the other...

And finally, a private purchase compass...."Marsch Kompass Jungend"....but definitely military as it is unit marked to the 7th Komp, Artillerie Regiment 27...part of the 27th Infantrie Division, then 27th Panzer Division.

Cool! Can't beat that price Pzjgr! Pic sticky for ref.
    Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose. - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Thanks Ham....if anyone else has different types of compass's post 'em up!

Nice kompasses and informative thread had one like the A marked one but never knew what it meant. timothy

I think I have an "A" compass around here somewhere. Was sold as Great War compass! What are they worth these days?
    My favorites are the WWI English "low light" mother of pearl compasses with the lovely fitted leather case. Very English.

I've had some without the A with the cards reversed. These were graduated in mils and read counter-clockwise.