Third Party Press

Marsch Kompass Thread

The other theory is that the “A” denotes that the divisions are reversed, note that the markings go on in the opposite direction on the “A”version. I think this was done fairly late.

I believe this is correct. This was done in mid 1944 I think.

I believe this is correct. This was done in mid 1944 I think.

What was the reasons they revered the numbers? Makes sense with the big A to show they were different. I guess one could get really lost using the wrong one with the wrong map. Dealer told me it meant it was for artillery use and had extra damping for the shell concision. :googlie

The two compass variants depicted, early and late “A” marked show the difference. The early has counter clockwise divisions, the late has clockwise divisions, hence the need for the “A” to clearly distinguish the two by the lid.

http://www.compassmuseum.com/hand/hand_1.htm#BUSCH

6E99127D-064E-462F-9666-10B32431ABB0.jpeg

mk_a_gr.jpg

Last edited:
Like everything else Third Reich, there’s always a story, artillery, arctic, or whatever, that usually increase the price. As they say, buy the compass, not the story!

Like everything else Third Reich, there’s always a story, artillery, arctic, or whatever, that usually increase the price. As they say, buy the compass, not the story!

Yep. But as for such things the truth is invariably far simpler and utilitarian. The big “A” is to simply identify a change in the graduations. Putting a 1944+ “A” next to earlier ones solves the “mystery”. Someone smarter than me can explain why there would even be a separate compass for artillery.

Interestingly enough, I believe that the use of mils, 6400 divisions compared to 360, was among other things to make artillery sighting more accurate. It also allows you to measure the size of an object at a kilometer away using mils.

Interestingly enough, I believe that the use of mils, 6400 divisions compared to 360, was among other things to make artillery sighting more accurate. It also allows you to measure the size of an object at a kilometer away using mils.

Yep, you're right. What I should have been clear about is with respect to German military issue there is no difference in divisions in the military issue marsch kompass for artillery purposes. There is no specialized "artillery compass" as that 6400 divisions is a requirement for the military issue compass. That's how you can tell it from a civilian / commercial compass, from what I understand.
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?31303-Issue-Marsch-Kompass

Marsch Kompasses

Here are a few compasses from my collection. Most of them can still be used after 75 years.

Attachments

• IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 27

Military Rifle Journal
Back