Third Party Press

MP44 Flat?

stamping flats

Looking at the flat, it doesn’t seem much different than the HK style flats that you see everywhere and are only $100+ dollars. I know dies for stamping are expensive but I wonder why no one has produced an authentic semi MP44 flat. The need is there. I think there are enough parts, repro or real, for builders to make their own rifles. As it stands now you need a very expensive parts kit with receiver pieces to make this happen. But a source of receiver flats would change this as there are many loose parts on the market. Just one look at gunbroker and you can see no shortage and repro barrels, bolts and stocks are available too. Wouldn’t be super cheap but I can see it cheaper than the 5-7k for a good kit or one of the available PTR44s. And I’d rather have that than a $1800 HMG Sortagewehr
Sounds like a great idea but the going in cost would have to be quite high. Looking at the description of the rec. stamping in the Sturmgewehr book it becomes obvious that just one set of dies was not enough by any means. CNC machining nowdays makes machining die sets quicker but we are talking several sets for the rather severe draws on the 44 rec. When I looked into having dies machined for the rear pieces I made it would have been more than 5K for what turned out to be fairly basic forming dies with no deep draws. Needing a few for myself I took some misc. steel bars I had and stood in front of my manual Bridgeport till I had a set that worked way better than I deserved. Not to happen for a whole rec. shell though. Not that I really know but I bet it'd cost well over 20K for MP44 shell die sets. Then someone has to have blanks made and stamped in a much bigger press than the one I used in my shop. They would sell but I have to wonder if enough to justify the $$$ investment, labor to make plus some profit to make it worthwhile. I had receiver blocks made and am at about break even at present. It's something I wanted to do so it's fine with me. I doubt someone making flats would come out even that well.
I'm thinking we'd do well to work on Dingo about him getting some here. His people have the dies and are or have made the things already.
Pete

Dingo
Please import some receiver flats
No different then ak or flats

Ian. What more can I say

Lots of pipe dream post

Sounds like a great idea but the going in cost would have to be quite high. Looking at the description of the rec. stamping in the Sturmgewehr book it becomes obvious that just one set of dies was not enough by any means. CNC machining nowdays makes machining die sets quicker but we are talking several sets for the rather severe draws on the 44 rec. When I looked into having dies machined for the rear pieces I made it would have been more than 5K for what turned out to be fairly basic forming dies with no deep draws. Needing a few for myself I took some misc. steel bars I had and stood in front of my manual Bridgeport till I had a set that worked way better than I deserved. Not to happen for a whole rec. shell though. Not that I really know but I bet it'd cost well over 20K for MP44 shell die sets. Then someone has to have blanks made and stamped in a much bigger press than the one I used in my shop. They would sell but I have to wonder if enough to justify the $$$ investment, labor to make plus some profit to make it worthwhile. I had receiver blocks made and am at about break even at present. It's something I wanted to do so it's fine with me. I doubt someone making flats would come out even that well.
I'm thinking we'd do well to work on Dingo about him getting some here. His people have the dies and are or have made the things already.
Pete

Excellent parts Pete and you're spot on.. I looked into making flats from solid works files in China/India and still the cost was more than the payout in cash and R&D. As already mentioned, IMHO...Dingo is our hobby's best hope for flats or 80%

Looking forward to Knob Creek now, anyone going there?. By the way it is possible to order parts now, and I am waiting on papers to import loads of mags and more parts. Have ordered 10 round 44 mags and trunions pluss loots more. Dingo

Last edited:
Hi. I know that flats are free here in USA, but that does not mean that I dont need paperwork to Import them. I will contact ATF on this matter next week, and hopefully I can help you with flats soon. Looking forward to Knob Creek now, anyone going there?. By the way it is possible to order parts now, and I am waiting on papers to import loads of mags and more parts. Have ordered 10 round 44 mags and trunions pluss loots more. Dingo

Fantastic Tor... Exit stage Left..I have some parts to get to..Thanks!

Had a god meeting with ATF today, on the different modells. I filed for MP44, MP43/1 and MKB42H. Hopefully they will be ok for import

Last edited:
Good news. They are not firearms fail to see the jurisdiction and complication

They may have a problem of the ejector hole is cut
Or the charger handle slot is cut since you are importing
But than again it's the batf

Good news. They are not firearms fail to see the jurisdiction and complication

They may have a problem of the ejector hole is cut
Or the charger handle slot is cut since you are importing
But than again it's the batf

Without the charging handle slot, the flat can be bent easily much like an H&K. With the charging handle slot already cut, you may need an elaborate two piece die for support from both sides to prevent deformation.

Slot

Without the charging handle slot, the flat can be bent easily much like an H&K. With the charging handle slot already cut, you may need an elaborate two piece die for support from both sides to prevent deformation.[/QUOTE
Good call re that. If I were building with a flat, cutting that handle slot would probably be the last thing I'd do.
Pete

Without the charging handle slot, the flat can be bent easily much like an H&K. With the charging handle slot already cut, you may need an elaborate two piece die for support from both sides to prevent deformation.[/QUOTE
Good call re that. If I were building with a flat, cutting that handle slot would probably be the last thing I'd do.
Pete

Agreed... Good friend has his mill going so I'll easily get a few! Great news from Dingo! Happy progress is being made and even better parts are back online..

Agreed... Good friend has his mill going so I'll easily get a few! Great news from Dingo! Happy progress is being made and even better parts are back online..

Hopefully the form 6's go through and Dingo can get some in, I'd order one as well for a semi project. For those with HK flat bending experience, assuming you would have to build a custom jig and mandrel?

Got approval for importing a few 1000 s of magazines today. By the way did the Gunlab VG1-5 hit the marked?

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back