Third Party Press

Bring Back Mosin M44

tokarev38

We have no Mosin section so I post it here. Maybe Moderator can move it to more appropriate section.

Recent Gunbroker find, bring back Mosin M44. All original unmessed finish and matching numbers. 1945 Izhevsk. No import marks. Possibly Korean war bring back. It has a Chinese (?) character carved in the stock. Maybe former commie owner signature? I believe it is a post war production judging from later sling slots and bayonet attachment, but still 1945.

Jack

Attachments

• M44_a.jpg
    M44_a.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 32
  • M44_b.jpg
    M44_b.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 38
  • M44_c.jpg
    M44_c.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 47
  • M44_d.jpg
    M44_d.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 54
  • M44_e.jpg
    M44_e.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 40
  • M44_f.jpg
    M44_f.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 43
  • M44_g.jpg
    M44_g.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 65
  • M44_h.jpg
    M44_h.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 33
  • M44_i.jpg
    M44_i.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 31
  • M44_j.jpg
    M44_j.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 26
M44

Last pictures

Attachments

• M44_k.jpg
    M44_k.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 30
  • M44_l.jpg
    M44_l.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 46
  • M44_m.jpg
    M44_m.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 27
I really like the Mosin-Nagant, particularly those that the Finns modified and/or rebarrelled. The Mosin was/is stupid simple and reliable. They will never win a beauty contest, but you can drive them into the ground as fenceposts in the morning and shoot them in combat in the afternoon.

KJ

We have no Mosin section so I post it here. Maybe Moderator can move it to more appropriate section.

Recent Gunbroker find, bring back Mosin M44. All original unmessed finish and matching numbers. 1945 Izhevsk. No import marks. Possibly Korean war bring back. It has a Chinese (?) character carved in the stock. Maybe former commie owner signature? I believe it is a post war production judging from later sling slots and bayonet attachment, but still 1945.

Jack

Hello Jack. Nice rifle. I believe your sling "pressed in liners" are correct
for your Izhevsk M44. Izhevsk I believe started using the fully pressed in
Liners for the sling slots in late 44. Unlike Tula that stamped the year of stock production
Under their "Tula Star" on the right side of the stock , Izhevsk used some specific acceptance proofs
on the stock that can help you identify the year, if they are still readable. I can't recall what they are for
45 Izhevsk. My guess is that the stock on your rifle is the correct issue for your rifle.

* I know for a fact there are other guys here with lots of
Russian rifle knowledge. If I'm wrong I hope they correct
me.

I have some level of interest in anything that makes a bang and saw use during WWII. MN’s aren’t a focus but if someone has a nice one, I don’t mind looking.

Nice M44. I use to have one in the same letter block. Although mine had the half liner in the front and no liner in the back. It is likely that your rifle was assembled later. And the inspection stamp on your stock should be "or". Notice also that your bayonet lug has 2 teeth as opposed the earlier examples with just 1.

I have found three like that and have always tried to guess how they got to the US, could be wwii, Korea or every Vietnam?
Mine were all in nice shape like yours so I don’t think Vietnam
Stephen

That is Chinese character "宋" (pronounce "sòng") on the stock which is a pretty common family name in China (Western culture usually have similar given name with unique family name but in Asia is just the opposite). That should be a bring back from Korean War. It is not odd to see any kind of weapon in Korean War. P.R.China's army really just use everything that can shoot bullet at early period. Mosin Nagant, Hanyang, Chiang Kai-shek rifle, Gewehr, Czech, German, British, French, American, Japanese equipments are everywhere. My granddad was planning to join Voluntary Army to Korea (he was served in 4th Field Army as a leader of a propaganda platoon); however, he was assigned to the new founding Navy. So glad he wasn't in that brutal war

Military Rifle Journal
Back