Third Party Press

Elm/walnut combo byf 45

Bob in OHIO

An interesting stock combo with elm HG, and the bolt has been factory ground/reworked too...

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 88
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 3 (1).jpg
    3 (1).jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 3 (2).jpg
    3 (2).jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 6 (2).jpg
    6 (2).jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 6 (1).jpg
    6 (1).jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 90
Very nice rifle indeed. The elm has a great grain structure. I wonder how much elm plays in stock parts exactly but it's fairly rare.

The elm walnut combo is very interesting as is the bolt. What's the acceptance on the bolt Bob?

I think these completely unmarked bolts are Mauser made from when Mauser had to start making bolt bodies after the loss of FN. On the elm hand guards, I have seen it (I have one on a byf45) but have yet to see an elm stock - you do see elm stocks on post war French made svwMB's, but I suspect there has to be some elm used on late wartime guns, just waiting for one to turn up.

I think these completely unmarked bolts are Mauser made from when Mauser had to start making bolt bodies after the loss of FN. On the elm hand guards, I have seen it (I have one on a byf45) but have yet to see an elm stock - you do see elm stocks on post war French made svwMB's, but I suspect there has to be some elm used on late wartime guns, just waiting for one to turn up.

That is my thought on the bolt as well. The little inspection mark on the top of the bolt looks like an in house MO stamp to me.

Even earlier MO made bolts seem to lack any acceptance on occasion as well. I have one in a byf 44 d block but haven't compiled enough data to see how common it is.

I had a really nice Elm unmarked hand guard before I knew Elm was even a thing, sold it on the cheap a long while ago thinking it was aftermarket.

Military Rifle Journal
Back