Third Party Press

S.178G local find.

CanadianAR

Canadian Grizzly Eh
Staff member
Picked this up on the weekend at a local show. Matching and unsharpened. G date. Frog looks to be 1938 marked and has some sort of ink stamp.....can anyone elaborate? Front of scabbard is fairly worn as well as top of the bayonet, but the back of the scab is decent and the blade is actually really quite good. Amazing bluing on these early ones. I suspect it was worn for a long time but seldom unsheathed. First early one Ive ever found. The little lock button was finger tight so i examined it, IT WAS SERIAL NUMBERED!! Crazy. Did not pull the grip scales.

Last edited:
Nice `35 Heller. It always amazes me that an early date bayo made it through all it went through and was able to stay in this good of a condition. Thanks for posting it.

Yes nice piece, on early bayonets of smaller producers are many special marking to observe, similar as serialed press button, the brown frog is mostly LW pattern. The maker could be readed by Slash, as he is expert on that area, the ink stamp is mostly inventory, looks like 1036 or something else.b.r.Andy

Clean, honest combat bayonet with no issues. We all like to find stuff in excellent condition. However, a piece which exhibits service use and probably looks no different now than it did the day the war ended, has a special quality the "like new" bayonet just can't match. "If it could only talk" as the saying goes...

Very nice rig you have here Andrew. Congratulations!

The frog marking is LANDES LIEFERUNGS GENOSSENSCH. > 1938 > NIEDERRHEIN for the leather supplier's association of Landes-Lieferungs-Genossenschaft der Sattler, Niederrhein.

As others have said and I will repeat, very nice bayonet. Looks like wear that would have occurred over it’s Long service life.

Nice one, here is my mismatched S/178 1934 dated bayonet with a 1935 dated scabbard.

Attachments

• Bilde 11.04.2018, 14 19 15.jpg
    Bilde 11.04.2018, 14 19 15.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 12
  • Bilde 11.04.2018, 14 19 22.jpg
    Bilde 11.04.2018, 14 19 22.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 15

Military Rifle Journal
Back