Third Party Press

That unkind cut

heavy_mech

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual
So I wondered how collectors feel about these reverse cuts. How much does it bother you? While I like '44 dou rifles for a number of reasons, the blood? pitting or whatever on the back of the FP, the crude G carved? in the bottom of the stock but mostly that duffle cut. This is certainly NOT the worst of this type I've seen it still bothers me quite a bit. Standard type duffle cuts don't bother me at all.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/760379476

Any exposed duffel cut is a deal killer to me, save for those between the bands. That one there is the second worst kind. I’m shocked such a common gun with that cut got that kind of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have passed on that cut. Just no thinking on that one.
Who ever cut the stock there rather than in front probably went on to be a politician.

Any exposed duffel cut is a deal killer to me, save for those between the bands. That one there is the second worst kind. I’m shocked such a common gun with that cut got that kind of money.

What is the worst? Through the magazine area? I don't think I have seen that, but can't think of a worse place.

Right in front of the magazine well. Technically it’s a tie, at least the one shown can be fixed and shot.

I suppose it largely depends on particular circumstances (rarity, condition, etc) but unless the cut is especially nasty, it’s not a deal breaker for me. Oddly enough, when G/K43s are duffel cut, it’s often done in this way, (butt end vs fore end)

Maybe a duffle cut behind the rear tang is a sign that whoever brought the rifle back did so without disassembling otherwise. Cutting the stock at the lower band required disassembly and more effort.

Attachments

• captain obvious.jpg
    captain obvious.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Someone posted up photos a little while back of a legit SS conversion sniper that had the worst "duffle cut" I've ever seen. It looked like someone just swung the stock against a tree and shattered it. It could've been the surrender German that did it, but damn was the stock screwed.

"Duffel cuts" have always been somewhat interesting to me. It really does tell something about the person who did it.

I have a rifle that I have always figured was duffel cut, but the way it was cut seems so strange it just did not make any sense. It was cut at an angle, about half way up the barrel, and who ever cut it, had access to pretty good tools. The gap, is less than .060 if I remember right from measuring it.

The wide variety always makes you wonder...

I love late dou's and don't mind duffle cuts but that's crazy money for a gun with that stock. What is it worth then with perfect wood?

Military Rifle Journal
Back