Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to k98s, NEED HELP!

Exclamation New to k98s, NEED HELP!

I have been wanting a k98 rifle for almost as long as i have liked firearms. I can finally start looking in the market for one and need some help to make sure I'm getting something worth my money. I don't care if its not in all matching mint condition. But i wanna make sure the parts and markings are correct for the period, with no faked parts.

I have been learning alot in forums and i know a few things to look for but not everything. Could someone take a look at these rifles and let me know if there is anything off about them? What marks stand out and what should i look out for?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Pisgah; 04-16-2018 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Live lnks removed

Unfortunately we do not allow the discussion of ongoing auctions or links to ongoing auctions here. If you have specific questions you can post a photo from an auction so long as you do not discuss where the photo came from, etc. You can also PM any administrator here to help you with an auction.
    WTB/WTT: (1)late E/H marked bcd stock either standard or semi-Kriegs; (2)unnumbered late MO Zf-41 stock, Kriegs or standard stock; (3)transitional late unnumbered type dot stock which uses bandspring and has bayo mount but no cleaning rod hole; (4)unnumbered byf standard stock as typically found on some byf 44 K and L block rifles; (5)unnumbered E/H bnz standard stock as typically found on bnz.4 and bnz 44 N, O, and P block rifles; (6)any bnz Kriegsmodell stock either with E/H or without

Ah Sorry for The Links, Here are some pictures of a rifle i would like looked at. if anyone could give me pointers on what to look for i would really appreciate it. i will post more pictures of others soon. I want to learn as much as i can about classic rifles, in this case, Mausers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Another Rifle

This is another i would like to know about.

Default One More

And another:

Quote Originally Posted by Sebeezas View Post
    Ah Sorry for The Links, Here are some pictures of a rifle i would like looked at. if anyone could give me pointers on what to look for i would really appreciate it. i will post more pictures of others soon. I want to learn as much as i can about classic rifles, in this case, Mausers.
    This rifle is up for discussion on Dave's site:
    http://ww2weaponsforum.com/showthrea...18067-dot-1944

Quote Originally Posted by Sebeezas View Post
    This is another i would like to know about.
    This seller is known for offering questionable rifles. Stay clear as a newbie.

Welcome, you came to the right place...

Unfortunately, for the most parts, these pics don't show the important stuff...

The first LOOKS to be pretty good form the poor pictures which don't seem to show any of the serial numbering, a Waffenfabrik Brunn Czech produced gun...

The second, again, looks decent, not an RC, but can't tell anything about the serialing...

The third looks to be a mixmaster with a ground bolt...might be ok as a placeholder or shooter, but no real collector value. May be ok if you just want an example.

To tell anything substantial, it all depends on the serial numbers on the parts...the second one would have serial numbers on just about every part, and for it to be top of the line, all of them have to match....the less that match, the less its worth basically.

If I had to make a leap of faith based on the pics available....I'd roll the dice on #1....

Thank you guys for your responses so far. I really wish i had better pictures but theyre rhe best ones that i could find.

As far as collecting. I'm still a newbie and with a bit of a budget in comparison with hardcore collectors so as far as extensive serial matching I'm not too picky about that.

I do like the 1st one most but i wouldn't like something too risky, maybe i can contact seller and ask for better pictures.

Now for these rifles. Let's say correct parts and markings, good accurate bore with strong rifling, good condition, but not matching on many of the serial numbers. What would be a fair price off the top of your heads to make sure i don't overspend?

Hey Buddy, is that an E/4 in your pocket?

K98's are too tough to evaluate the way you are thinking/wanting. Way too many variables involved. They really fall into a "rifle by rifle" criteria and good, close photos of key areas and serial numbers are a MUST for good advice to follow. Many sellers KNOW this and coincidentally "leave out" these key photos. Or they are just ignorant but my bet is with the former. Matching rifles tend to sell from $1,500+. Anything below that price is where the rest will fit in and that's where good photos or trusted descriptions fall in line. A good, period correct mismatched shooter sells well between $550-$800. I sold 3 in that range in the last few months.

Quote Originally Posted by mowzerluvr View Post
    K98's are too tough to evaluate the way you are thinking/wanting. Way too many variables involved. They really fall into a "rifle by rifle" criteria and good, close photos of key areas and serial numbers are a MUST for good advice to follow. Many sellers KNOW this and coincidentally "leave out" these key photos. Or they are just ignorant but my bet is with the former. Matching rifles tend to sell from $1,500+. Anything below that price is where the rest will fit in and that's where good photos or trusted descriptions fall in line. A good, period correct mismatched shooter sells well between $550-$800. I sold 3 in that range in the last few months.

Thank you for letting me know, i will keep looking and learning about this. And keep an eye out for detailed pictures with the important stuff.