Third Party Press

Opinions Please. What is your favorite G/K43?

Which G/K43 is your favorite?

• Total voters

mdarnell19

Beavis Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys,
I have always been curious to know what is the most popular G/K43 code and year.

So, what is your favorite G/K43 to collecting? Which manufacturer and year do you prefer? And if you have a favorite in your collection, please share a picture.

True G/K43 snipers are at the top of my list of favorites. Something about a G43 with a scope mount just looks good. I am also fond of early rifles with threaded muzzle nuts.

QVE 45 d block sniper
QVE (1).jpg

AC44 w/scope

Attachments

• rifle16.jpg
    rifle16.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 31
  • rifle14.jpg
    rifle14.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 28
  • rifle15.jpg
    rifle15.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 29
  • rifle4.jpg
    rifle4.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 24
  • rifle5.jpg
    rifle5.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 22
well, if you are holding one to my head, I hope it is a bcd, better chance it may not function. :googlie

My favorite would be an "f" block, Walther, ac45, that was assembled at Berlin Lubecker...with a matching 214 scope mount on it.

Mine would be the elusive ac43 but being I do not see it posted up there. I would say the duv44 would be my choice.

Hey guys,
I have always been curious to know what is the most popular G/K43 code and year.

So, what is your favorite G/K43 to collecting? Which manufacturer and year do you prefer? And if you have a favorite in your collection, please share a picture.

True G/K43 snipers are at the top of my list of favorites. Something about a G43 with a scope mount just looks good. I am also fond of early rifles with threaded muzzle nuts.

QVE 45 d block sniper
View attachment 175632

Walther AC45

“G/K.43 sniper” really can’t be in this poll I don’t think. Because any of them (except the bcd’s and milled off scope rail rifles) can be a sniper once you put the scope/mount to it.

Why no love for the qve45’s guys? These are really interesting end game rifles where quality really didn’t stop....all the way to the end.

My current two favorites are a BCD a block and an AC 44 h block in a red glue laminate stock. Haven't had a chance to get pictures yet of the AC 44 but here are a couple of the BCD.

20170412_142955.jpg20170412_143012.jpg20170412_144552.jpg

nick

“G/K.43 sniper” really can’t be in this poll I don’t think. Because any of them (except the bcd’s and milled off scope rail rifles) can be a sniper once you put the scope/mount to it.

Why no love for the qve45’s guys? These are really interesting end game rifles where quality really didn’t stop....all the way to the end.

The poll is referring to rifles with their factory numbered mount still on the rifle. These are the only true G/K43 sniper rifles.

Matt,
Your really should have had the G43 AC 43 included in the poll. That would be my first choice and the one I have is one of the center pieces of my collection. Not having it is like forgetting where you came from. My second choice would be the factory matching sniper.

You have a point Bryan. I guess my intial thought was that they are so rare it’s hard to collect them. I’ll see if I can add it.

The late war AC-45 K-43 represent the breed perfected, and are among the most desirable, IMHO. There are characteristics of late war AC-45s that are not seen in rifles from other manufacturers. These represent distinct product improvements, not just random changes.

The dual bolt lugs give better support to the bolt, increasing reliability, which is not a strong suit of earlier designs. The extractor has been re-positioned on the redesigned bolt. There's a small added cross pin in the rear part of the receiver that prevents sear binding. The gas piston is made of stainless steel, and the gas cylinder has added three millimeter holes that prevent the cracks in the rear of the receiver common to earlier guns with their violent operating action. The recoil lug has been moved well forward, for added strength (stocks from earlier guns will not fit late AC-45s).

My own c block AC-45 K-43 has shown itself to be absolutely reliable. There's been no need to install a "shooter's kit", or even after market springs. Instead of the violent action of earlier guns, the bolt cycles smoothly and gently, almost as an after thought. There's little damage to fired brass. The rifle is very accurate, and has the original adjustable trigger. Trigger take up is long, but the break is light and crisp, with no creep. Late AC-45s used product improved Zf-4 scopes, most made by Voightlander (ddx). Zero is not disturbed when the scope and mount are removed from the rifle.

Metal parts on late AC-45 K-43s can be a mixture of blue and phosphate, or all blue, or all phosphate. That was just luck of the draw during assembly. On the back of the receiver below the safety lever there'll be a marking, most often a heart. No one seems to know what this signified.

Darrin Weaver says that the dual lug was removed from earlier guns because it caused problems and was simply milled off after initial forging and milling. (Yes, all G/K-43 receivers are forged, and not cast). If this is true, why did Walther start producing dual lug guns, and go to all of the trouble to redesign the bolt?

FWIW

The late war AC-45 K-43 represent the breed perfected, and are among the most desirable, IMHO. There are characteristics of late war AC-45s that are not seen in rifles from other manufacturers. These represent distinct product improvements, not just random changes.

The dual bolt lugs give better support to the bolt, increasing reliability, which is not a strong suit of earlier designs. The extractor has been re-positioned on the redesigned bolt. There's a small added cross pin in the rear part of the receiver that prevents sear binding. The gas piston is made of stainless steel, and the gas cylinder has added three millimeter holes that prevent the cracks in the rear of the receiver common to earlier guns with their violent operating action. The recoil lug has been moved well forward, for added strength (stocks from earlier guns will not fit late AC-45s).

My own c block AC-45 K-43 has shown itself to be absolutely reliable. There's been no need to install a "shooter's kit", or even after market springs. Instead of the violent action of earlier guns, the bolt cycles smoothly and gently, almost as an after thought. There's little damage to fired brass. The rifle is very accurate, and has the original adjustable trigger. Trigger take up is long, but the break is light and crisp, with no creep. Late AC-45s used product improved Zf-4 scopes, most made by Voightlander (ddx). Zero is not disturbed when the scope and mount are removed from the rifle.

Metal parts on late AC-45 K-43s can be a mixture of blue and phosphate, or all blue, or all phosphate. That was just luck of the draw during assembly. On the back of the receiver below the safety lever there'll be a marking, most often a heart. No one seems to know what this signified.

Darrin Weaver says that the dual lug was removed from earlier guns because it caused problems and was simply milled off after initial forging and milling. (Yes, all G/K-43 receivers are forged, and not cast). If this is true, why did Walther start producing dual lug guns, and go to all of the trouble to redesign the bolt?

FWIW
So considering the equation that danger = more fun, what you are really saying here is that the BCD G43 is the best option? :p

I'm a fan of the look of the early features such as a finish-milled receiver and threaded barrel. I guess that'd mean I'm a fan of the AC43s and BCDs. Honestly, there are so many interesting variations with these rifles. I think the AC44 is the quintessential G43 but the high quality duv44s with their durofol handguards are cool in their own right and dual-lugged late war AC45s and the late war QVE 45s are neat in their rushed crudeness. That's not to mention the sniper rifles and panel cuts, etc. Something for everyone! Lol!

Thanks for the comments and taking the poll guys. There is no "right" answer. I was curious to see what was the most popular.

I have my favorites, but I like all the matching, un-touched (especially the stock) G/K43 rifles. They all have a different story to tell and are a different piece of history. Whether it is the early slave labor built, quirky Gustloff rifles. Or the late Walther rifles with the plethora of small variations. Or Walther's early examples with side panels and threaded muzzle nuts. Or BLM's unique looking durofol hand guard. I really like them all.

Still would love to have people share a picture of their favorite rifle they own. Don't be shy.

Only one here too.
XwGxeBy.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back