Third Party Press

What would you do, bcd 4

stephen

Have seen other threads about attic - basment finds like this one. I am tempted to leave it as is. It is a bolt miss-match and all other parts are un numbered. Bore is ok

Stephen

Attachments

• D8615673-0527-4700-B76C-8995D5E046D2.jpg
    D8615673-0527-4700-B76C-8995D5E046D2.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 47A2B83B-81C6-462E-AD50-15AF0AB202ED.jpg
    47A2B83B-81C6-462E-AD50-15AF0AB202ED.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 17366B07-E71E-4F89-850F-D6A4A369A9BC.jpg
    17366B07-E71E-4F89-850F-D6A4A369A9BC.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 167
More pics ...........

Attachments

• 9395E6B7-2F12-4012-BDCF-F4603E853164.jpg
    9395E6B7-2F12-4012-BDCF-F4603E853164.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 91
  • D74ADE47-FE88-478B-BEE3-018A0AA23603.jpg
    D74ADE47-FE88-478B-BEE3-018A0AA23603.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 103
Slowest and least aggressive cleaning is best.
Try dousing all the metal parts with Breakfree CLP and letting them sit for a few days and then wiping them off with a soft rag.
Repeat the same procedure for a few months and you will be surprised at how good it looks.
For the stock try some Howard's Feed-N-Wax, used as directed, which is sparingly.

The metal will clean. Slow and careful as Chasdev said. Be mindful that the phosphate finish is weak and should almost be left alone other than wiping the rust off. Aggressive brushing will make it shine and then the collectability has been pimped off of it.

You're really damned if you do, damned if you don't with that one. Cleaning it that is.

CLP and a rag as has been said up there^ you'll be surprised how much so little effort will help. CLP is great. We soaked our M16's in it after the Quigley and I use it on everything now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Agreed, tough call. If you clean it, take it out of the wood and just use some light oil and a rag. As said any aggressive rubbing ruins these. Better in rougher shape but original then cleaned up too far. IMHO

I purchased byf44 that was supposedly found in a barn and was in similar condition to your bcd4. I cleaned mine but I sort of regret doing it, as some areas do look over cleaned to me. Personally, if I were to purchase something in this type of condition again, I would just do the wipe with CLP method and call it good. That way you could gently remove some loose rust and at the same time preserve it from further rusting.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?9858-Barn-find-byf-44-k-block

Maybe I'm weird (probably) , but I'm with you- leave it as is. Monitor it, though- if the finish diminishes, then clean/oil.

The great thing about CLP and serious rust is that over time it just slowly keeps working, I had one I treated for over a year, about once a month, and it came out WAY better than I thought possible.

So you have 2 options really - leave it as is, it's a time capsule of sorts, and when you pull that thing out in that condition it elicits an "ooooohhhh" factor as people can just imagine what it could be. If you clean it up, then it's like every other cleaned up rusty Mauser.

If you do leave it as is, just store it in a bore store stock and keep it in a good, dry environment. It may be neat to pull that thing out to show your buddies. Honestly, I don't think it's really worth any more cleaned up in this case since it isn't matching.

So you have 2 options really - leave it as is, it's a time capsule of sorts, and when you pull that thing out in that condition it elicits an "ooooohhhh" factor as people can just imagine what it could be. If you clean it up, then it's like every other cleaned up rusty Mauser.

If you do leave it as is, just store it in a bore store stock and keep it in a good, dry environment. It may be neat to pull that thing out to show your buddies. Honestly, I don't think it's really worth any more cleaned up in this case since it isn't matching.

Very wise advice. I over cleaned rifles when I started collecting and regret it. They are only as found once.

CLP and a rag as has been said up there^ you'll be surprised how much so little effort will help. CLP is great. We soaked our M16's in it after the Quigley and I use it on everything now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

CLP on my ARs and AKs and modern. Ballistol on collectible and really everything.

CLP on my ARs and AKs and modern. Ballistol on collectible and really everything.

Have to agree. CLP or 'Breakfree' is great, but it's more appropriate for modern weapons IMHO. Not only is Ballistol period appropriate it's a much milder more organic lubricant.

Military Rifle Journal
Back